just saying hello

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

leigh larwill

just saying hello

Post by leigh larwill » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:25 am

hi to all. I have just joined and thought i would say hi,as of yet i haven't a macaw but am looking to buy one sometime this year (Green wing).my gran had a macaw many years ago that my grandad bought her when he was in the merchant navy it was a hyacinth macaw and lived to be at least 70 years old before passing away in its sleep ...thought of buying one again until i found out the price.so i am now looking to buy a green wing.
By the way if anyone knows of a reputable breeder of Green wings would you pass on any info you have available ...much appreciated.
well that's about it for now hope to hear from you all take care
Leigh

diana

Re: just saying hello

Post by diana » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:17 am

Hi Leigh

Are you sure you want a Macaw, they can be extremely noisy, destructive and bite hard too, although I know not all of them are.

If you join the PS you will receive a monthly magazine where breeders and birds for sale are listed. You can join by looking at the main website.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Di

leigh larwill

Post by leigh larwill » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:30 pm

thanks Di and yes i do want a macaw this is not a quick decision, i have been thinking about it for years and have never gone any further with it because i could never give the bird the time ...but now things have changed and am able to spend the time with it that i know they need
Plus having read nearly everything i can get my hands on about parrots and macaws its not something i am going into lightly
and i hope that if i need advise this is the place to come to for common sense answers from good people like yourself
I have gone for a green wing because it is said they have a gentler disposition and are less likely to make noise....i also think that spending time training and playing with your bird will help with the destructive side of its nature
so i hope as you can see its not something i have gone into lightly.
and thank you for your advice on the monthly mag i will take a look
thanks again
Leigh

jgrey

Post by jgrey » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:44 pm

hello leigh and welcome to parrot society.

good luck with your green wing when you get him/her. there's never a dull moment with parrots,i have a grey called jasper and this summer i found out he is a she,what a surprise that was. i was curious for a while after jaspers obsessio with shredding everything,so i had a dna test done and i was right : )

Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:14 am

Hi Jgrey

So! Jasper is a girl! Lucky she had a name with two meanings. I'll keep an eye on Willow incase he starts to show his girly side ;~}
Good luck!

Nice to hear from you.
Dragonfly

jgrey

Post by jgrey » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:15 pm

thanks dragonfly,i couldnt change her name after 5 1/2 years : )

wonder if i should let her breeder know? he was so sure jasper was male,just goes to show. apparentley most (but not all) female greys have silver tips on the tail feathers. jasper has had these since she was around a year old : )

nice to hear from you too x