Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

konceppt

Post by konceppt » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi all.
My name is Ben and i am new to the forum and to parrots.I have had an interest for a long while after seeing a show at longleat years back.I am an animal lover anyway but concentrate most of my time on tropical fish breeding and my dog.My interest has been sparked again when we found a small bird under a lorry at work (assumed a small parakeet) I was amazed to see how tame it was,happily stepping onto anyones hand and walking up their arms to sit on their shoulder.Luckily i think my boss contacted someone on here and they knew who the breeder was and came to collect.

Since then i have been doing some serious studying and after deliberation on a suitable species and getting the go ahead form my wife,I have decided i may get a senegal parrot.I thought before i did,i should register on this forum and find out what i can in order to arm myself with some knowledge before buying.Mainly to avoid buying from the wrong people based on false information.

Looking forward to learning all i can and i am really excited about the prospect of owning my own senegal.Once i find out the correct requirements in terms of equipment etc

Thanks
Ben

Michael Reynolds

Re: newbie

Post by Michael Reynolds » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:00 pm

Welcome
I have a senegal and if their are any questions you would like to know please ask.
A very good parrot to start with for they are easy to tame and do not need as much attention as a larger breed. I have been keeping parrots for a long time but I havent been a member for long so you can say Im new to this forum as well.

Be careful it becomes a bug that can easely grow (i love the bug) At the moment I have 28 birds and they mainly are free in the home with a room dedicated to them. my senegal is nearly nine and quite a charactor.

The only problem ive had is that he likes to chew my funiture so i have to keep it covered.
I cannot eat any meal without him comming on to my plat and taking some his favorits are peas and porridge.

konceppt

Re: newbie

Post by konceppt » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:05 pm

They sound like great little charachters.I have spent the past 6 hours reading every bio and owners post on the internet as well as watched every senegal parrot video on youtube.I am just in the process of advertising all my fish tanks and fish for sale to raise the funds.
I would appreciate it if there is anyone on here that could point me in the direction of a reputable senegal breeder in the uk?