Gifted parrots (c.i.t.i.e.s)

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

Bouvier
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Gifted parrots (c.i.t.i.e.s)

Post by Bouvier » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:36 am

Recently I saw an advert on one of the 'for sale' sites for a 4 yr old Red Lored Amazon. This in fact was a Green Cheeked Amazon with no C.i.t.i.e.s certificate I contacted the seller and explained the problems they had in trying to sell the bird and was informed that they had already been told about it and was therefore giving it away to a Parrot rescue centre, the owners had originally bought it as a Red Lored Amazon.. I decided to look up the Defra listing of a gifted/donated bird and this is reproduced below. I believe that as the bird was sold/bought illegally in the first place the Parrot rescue centre are in fact commiting an offence as the bird cannot be Gifted. Does anyone know if the current owners can, legally, apply for a certificate before gifting?
Also I find the last two sentences on Defras article conflicting as it states that a certificate cannot be issued after the bird is gifted but then implies the new owner can apply for the certificate.
Bouvier

Gifts and donations
You do not need a certificate if you want to give your birds away or use them for non commercial purposes, for example keeping them as pets. But if the recipient intends to use the specimen for commercial purposes they will need to apply for an Article 10 certificate to acquire it for that purpose. These certificates can not be issued after you have given the specimens away. Anyone who acquires a specimen as a gift should ask the giver for full details of its origin in writing as this information will be required should the new owner ever apply for an Article 10 certificate.

diana

Re: Gifted parrots (c.i.t.i.e.s)

Post by diana » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:22 pm

This is interesting as I've often wondered about CITES listed parrots that are re homed or passed to a rescue facility.

I believe documents are not needed in such cases unless they are going into a breeding situation.
Perhaps the PS can investigate and write about it in the mag ?

I do hope its not going to hinder the rehoming of parrots. I would think a difficult enough job as it is trying to find decent homes for some of them without another obstacle.