pictures

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

nik

pictures

Post by nik » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:53 am

Hi, I am trying to identify a parrot that is living wild in my area. I have tried using the "manage attachments" to upload a picture, but I get this message: Could not upload attachment to ./files/12078_7cd3cb0ec2146b766b83c9918da016ea.
Am I wasting my time trying to do this?

Nick

diana

Re: pictures

Post by diana » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:02 pm

Hi Nick, could it be a ringneck parakeet as a number of them live in the wild these days?

I save any pics in jpg format then go into photobucket.com and download it, shrinking it to the size you want, you can then copy it onto this site.

Hope this helps
Di

nik

Post by nik » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:18 pm

I dont think it is a parakeet.
However, if this link works, you will be able to tell me. It has been in the area for at least 2 years, probably longer.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/collins.n ... directlink

Bouvier
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Post by Bouvier » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:34 am

Hi and welcome,
The parrot in the picture is an Orange winged Amazon. They will live in the wild if they can get the food, which they can at this time of the year. If there are plenty of trees around, which there appears to be, they will live comfortably all year round and breed in the wild - there are several pairs doing just that.
If it is an ex-pet they sometimes struggle to realize what is and what is not food so if you can put some food out somewhere it may come down to eat. General fruit and veg cut up and mixed with seed is fine. It will depend on the bird on whether it will take the food you put out and also if it has already managed to cope in the wild. Crows and the like may harass the bird if it is too near a breeding site but otherwise they are ok.

Bouvier

nik

Post by nik » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:04 am

Thank you Bouvier. This is on the isle of wight. I have been here two years, and the parrot was around then.
(He?) seems quite happy, he flies around from perch to perch at certain times of the day making quite a racket. He shares the area with crows, magpies, gulls and others, there doesnt seem to be any conflict.
The plumage doesnt seem very smooth, but for some reason he had his back to the wind.
I have no idea where he feeds or what on, but he seems to be getting enough.

Nick.

Bouvier
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Post by Bouvier » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:15 am

The bird looks in very good condition and is no doubt moulting slightly. With the climate that you get he will survive very well - and has. It will eat anything that is about including leaves, bugs, fruits, corn etc that it should be able to find on the island. He could also be visiting the aviaries that he originally came from and being fed by the owner - you never know. Orange wings more than any other seem to be living wild in the country and there have been several reports of pairs setting up residence. One pair that was recently on the news was on the outskirts of Hull and living in a church - much to the annoyance of the church goers as they were slowly demollishing the churchs' wooden structure. I think the birds thought they were helping by making more gargoyles!!!!
As far as I am aware they are still there and still being creative.

Bouvier