Stafford

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

CarolineJane

Stafford

Post by CarolineJane » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:21 pm

It seems that the "best" birds at the shows are now sold between table-holders before the doors are open to the public. If this practise continues then inevitably less people will be prepared to pay to get in. Maybe if the cost of private tables was increased then less people might book one simply to get in ahead of the public.

diana

Re: Stafford

Post by diana » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:01 am

I never went, but I've read of similar remarks on another forum.

adminnew
Site Admin
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Post by adminnew » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:27 pm

Tables are checked about an hour after admittance and any empty ones that have been paid for are refused when they apply for the next one.

Unfortunatly this has been muted ever since the first sale was organized at Bedford followed by Pickets Lock, then Luton, and finally Stafford.

With the very small number of volunteers that do come along to help set it up (Best part of Saturday until 10-30 plus two who stay all night, then continued from 6-30 Sunday Morning. Approximately 14-16 people.

Members as well as non members love the day out but all they are interested in is selling their birds and buying what they can filling their pockets and on way home by 11-30am.

I know these are facts as I have helped organise every show / Sale day ever held by the Parrot Society.

teiltown

Post by teiltown » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:05 pm

Hi Caroline.

I do belive this was a debate held at one of the council meetings, as the minutes were printed in the magazine. So we can be assured that the council has it in mind.

I know it has annoyed me in the past, getting through the door at 10:05 and anything that is remotely scarce has already been sold, in particular that bird you were so wanting. I expect this kind of thing goes on at any fair/sale day before public enter. It is just something we are going to have to live with. As looking at it from the other side, if you happen to be there with a genuine table stocked with your birds and the one next to it has a bird for sale that you REALLY want (just as much as either yourself or I would), your not going to wait until the crowds come in and likewise, the sellar isn't going to refuse a sale, as they have brought the birds to sell.

I am glad to hear that the society actively seeks out so called sellars who just reserve a table to get an 'early entry' wrist band.

Similarly, I have found that the magazine arrives at my house a day later than most, I've no idea why as I live in Lancashire - so on recieving said magazine, browsing the adverts whilst eating tea, then ringing up early evening having spotted something, only to find out it was sold the previous night..... by someone who also saw the advert in the magazine. At these times I find simply going outside and enjoying the birds I have is helpful.

Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

CarolineJane

Post by CarolineJane » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:35 pm

It would be interesting to know if attendances at shows are increasing or decreasing. I sense a feeling with members that I know that unless you have a table you are unlikely to be able to buy the better birds.

Bouvier

Post by Bouvier » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:37 pm

I have to slightly disagree with your comments about the birds going before anyone has a chance. I attended last years sales day primarily to sell my birds, however I did need (want) a hen goffin. There was a chap selling just that about three tables away from me but being a Yorkshireman I did not want to buy until I had sold my own. I knew that he was asking a hefty price for his bird but getting a hen goffin is harder than getting gold dust. I had seen many approach and speak with him and buy various other birds from him and I watch one or two come back for their birds. I must admit to a good sales day for me having sold all my other birds within one and a half hours of arriving and did not sell one before the doors opened. At around 2pm I decided enough was enough for me and my only remaining bird. I told my wife that I would get ready to leave and if someone wanted my last bird they could have it for half I was asking and she agreed. I looked over to the chap selling the goffin and it was still there (I assumed awaiting collection) and so I packed up. My wife in the mean time approached this chap and bought the bird for me for half his asking price. Apparently it was his last bird and was he in the same frame of mind as myself. For me it worked and no doubt if anyone wanted that bird at his price when he got there I would have missed out and in truth been quite happy to wait for one to come along - I only waited 6yrs. As has already been said, it is a sales day and people are there to sell. Who is to truthfully say that the bird you wanted did not sell just as the doors opened - to the person next to him etc. There will, hopefully be many more Parrot Society sales days and the bird you want will be just waiting for you.
I did not attend the early sales as I did not have any to sell or want but I will be attending the later sales day. Hopefully with some young or just to view (which I have done in the passed).
Bouvier

CarolineJane

Post by CarolineJane » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:09 pm

I did go to the recent Stafford but not to buy birds. I was not there early. It was reported to me that there were two Dutch dealers trying to buy birds from people going in which surely breaks the rules regarding selling outside the hall.
Of course many people take birds to hand-over, having made prior arrangements, but there is no point taking such birds into the hall where they would be more at risk from any infection.

adminnew
Site Admin

Post by adminnew » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:43 pm

In the STAFFORD PARROT SOCIETY SHOW CONDITIONS FOR THE SALE OF BIRDS. .(Go to home page click on shows etc Number 21 explains what to do if one has a complaint). Not four or five days later.
If you are a member there is a holding room just inside the main doors for people to eexchange / collect to prior arrangements etc. To sell birds in the car park is illegale.

CarolineJane

Post by CarolineJane » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:35 am

I'm not complaining as such just making a couple of points which I thought would be helpful. Sorry, I thought this was a forum for discussion but I was clearly mistaken.

Bouvier

Post by Bouvier » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:25 am

I don't think anyone is really saying that you are complaining per say, but what is written by ADMIN is the Societies Policy. You must remember that there are other than members who read this forum and he is only showing them how the Society is running its sales days.
There will always be someone infront of you who buys the 'best' bird, unfortunately that is life. No-one will ever stop the 'insider' dealing that may go on due to the nature of the game. As for the 'Dutch Dealers' then if that is a comment or a gripe then surely that could have been stopped by either yourself, or whoever reported it to you, telling the officials on the day. I think this is more than likely what is being refered to in the reply. I know that the officials do follow up any complaints as I have complained about someones actions in the past and it was followed up immediately.
The only real way to stop anything like this happening is to volunteer your services at the next sales days. I truthfully have never done so in the past due to the sales being generally on my only day off (shift worker) but in future I will certainly do so as I am now in a position to have weekends only off.

Bouvier