clipped or not

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

marklee

clipped or not

Post by marklee » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:06 pm

should i get my greys wings clipped or not.some say yes, cause it helps you to bond quicker? is this true or not clipped and risk the grey injuring itself.also some say clip a couple of feathers and others say more.please help any advice will help me when taking the plung of getting a grey.thanks in advance

Bouvier
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: clipped or not

Post by Bouvier » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:56 am

There have been quite a few discussions on this forum about this subject, however I would not recommend clipping a bird for the reason you have stated. I understand you are looking at a hand reared bird, this is just learning to fly when you get it so needs all the practice it can get. I needs full wings to learn how to maneuovre and move around objects also to get out of the way should you or anyone in your family accidently step toward it without seeing the bird. Put yourself in the birds 'shoes'. When you were young and trying to walk did your parents restrict your movements and if they had would you be capable of walking as you do now? The same applies to the bird. Bonding should take place between you because the bird is young and sees people as its family you then build on this. The only time you should clip a birds wing is to slow it down during the breeding season - usually to prevent the cock bird attacking as can sometimes happen but this is done only in extreme cases and not as a routine.

Bouvier

marklee

Post by marklee » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:17 pm

many stores i have gone to have most of there greys wings clipped,having read what you have said it seems quite a cruel thing to do...fingers crossed i will be getting mine this month,i am worrying about the bonding aspect of getting a grey, and just want to make the bird as happy as possible..the whole family will give it loads of attention. once i have my grey i will no doubt be on forum for advice and tipps on a dailly bassis,thanks for your help again :D

ginniwalesuk
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Post by ginniwalesuk » Thu May 07, 2009 2:06 pm

I considered a clip when I brought my CAG home in August, 2008. My vet pretty much said they would not do it and I can say I am glad I did not have it done! I think my parrot is far more confident and has learned to fly fairly well even considering I do not have lots of room. And I have heard too many horror stories about bad clips - I feel it is not worth it.

Virginia

Barry24 +

Post by Barry24 + » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:56 pm

when I got my bird its wings had already been clipped
I feel that it has not helped him I try to make him fly to safe areas close and safe
in the house hope this will help him out and he seems to be ok but awkward I hope he will be ok
when he moults his new flight feathers
does any think I am on the right tract