Trancelocation of Kakariki

Post by Daisy-May » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Hi I thought some of you might be interested in this link

http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_video/win ... 8_128k.asx
Daisy-May...

Cliff Wright

Re: Trancelocation of Kakariki

Post by Cliff Wright » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:06 pm

Unfortunatly the link appears not to be working! A coule of years ago the Parrot Society donated monies to the Kakariki project in New Zealand.

They like a lot of parrots are bred more in aviculture than in the wild, Man has a lot to answer for with deforistation prarie fires, over grazing by sheep and cattle, and damage caused by modern farming.

Daisy-May

Post by Daisy-May » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:39 pm

oh it worked for me.. it opened on windows media player ...try this
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/video_popup_windows_skin/1787611

the main problem seems to be due to the introduction of mamals cats/dogs /stoats/oposoms/rats etc... and as Kakarikies like to spend a lot of time on the forest floor..... its not hard to see why its been so devistating... :cry:

A coule of years ago the Parrot Society donated monies to the Kakariki project in New Zealand
yeah i was impressed about the donation ...(i read it somewhere) thats one of the reasons i came to this site :D
was it for a guy called Luis? if so the link above shows the results of the donation :D
http://www.massey.ac.nz/~dhbrunto/ppl/L ... tedral.htm

hes doing some fantastic reaserch into captive and wild bred birds and the behaviour and movements after release. At present its illegal for breeders to realease captive bred birds ...although some breeders think that the wild population has got so small there is bound to have been interbreeding and weeknesses and that captive bred will be stronger..... but it seems like there is a bit of resistance and a lot of red tape from there department odf conservation....so hopefully Luis's reaserch should answer a few question......good luck to him :!:
Daisy-May...

Cliff Wright

Post by Cliff Wright » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:33 pm

O.K. I got it working in the end (forgot to install Windows Player) This was one of the projects that we gave monies too, one of the things was to pay for the tracking units that were fitted onto the backs of some of the birds so that tracks could be kept and recorded of their whereabouts.

Daisy-May

Post by Daisy-May » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:14 am

i read about that... Luis was asking NZ breeders to donate young wild type captive birds that had not had too much human contact for the project and was testing the tracking units to make sure they didnt interfeer with natural behaviour too much. Thare are hopes that these birds may even spread to other islands on their own and these tracking devices will be indispencable in the research :) so thanks to anyone who was involved with making the decision to donate :D :D :D

Id really like to help some how .... but from so far away im not sure what i can do :?

ill keep posted any further developments that i find about the project :)
Daisy-May...