help in next step of training my parrot

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

help in next step of training my parrot

Post by Ben659 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:06 pm

About two Month ago I was given a 14 year old or more, Amazon Green parrot. It hs lived in its cage all ts life.
It has just started to come out of the cage on a ladder to the sofa. It has also left the cage and flown around the room twice.
He also takes food from me. Sadly he won't let me touch him or handle him. He shouts at me when i go close.
I was wondering how I tame the him and get him used to being touch. I want to take him out of the cage and teach him to step up on my finger. I know how to do that training
But what i want to know what is the best way to get him out if the cage and will he it set him back if i grab him with a towel and take him to another room to train.
Or should i put my hand in his cage and try to touch him till he get used to it. So many question like that i would like answering.

Re: help in next step of training my parrot

Post by diana » Thu May 05, 2011 10:46 am

Hi, I wouldn't towel him to get him out of his cage. Much too frightening and really in my mind only done on visits to the vets!

Can you get him to step up onto a stick, using the word UP, or a word he can eventually catch on to? use the same word every time. If you are brave enough to put your hand in and try....then do , but it can all take a long time and a lot of patience from you. Always stay calm even if you get bitten.

I think that would be a start....but others may have better ideas?

Do keep us up to date though.

Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Post by teiltown » Thu May 05, 2011 11:26 am

Hi Ben,

Di has the right advice. Do not use the towel, as this will just cause everyone stress.
If your Amazon has been caged for 15 yrs then you have a massive issue with what it considers normal life.
If the bird is accepting food from you, then you are well on your way to a good bond and trust with each other, and this is the important point, your bird must trust you in order to step up and go with you. Yes, I agree, training is often better achieved when away from the cage and other distractions.

A pocket full of sunflowers works wonders, and the occasional peanut as well, for rewards when your bird does something you wanted it to do.
Work with a stick, perhaps to start with a perch from his own cage, as this he will be familiar with, hold it firm so he trusts it, and see if you can slowly move him away from his cage, perhaps have another perch set up a few feet away from his cage, and gentle encourage him to sit there, give him the option of flying back, as he is bound to be needing a little exercise after being caged up for too long - you may wish to take all the sunflowers out of his diet and only give him these as treats/rewards whilst he gets fit. Amazons are very clever, and he will pick it up pretty fast.

If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

Post by Ben659 » Fri May 06, 2011 8:37 am

Thanks for the advice.
Its nice to have a idea what to do not just guess.

I will take my time and see what happens.
He is staring to talk more and investigate things more every day.
I will see what the future brings

Thanks you