Parrot conservation worldwide.

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

Bouvier
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: Parrot conservation worldwide.

Post by Bouvier » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:15 am

HI Andy,
I think you are like many of us that keep birds in that we all feel that something should be given back to the 'bird world'.
I am sure a registration idea has been put forward on many occasions but the problem is - who will run and monitor it? As you are aware DEFRA issue the C.i.t.e.s. certificates but are they really monitored? When I first purchased a pair of registered birds I believed you had to have them put into your name but when I sent of the forms they were returned with a letter telling me in the stricted terms that 'The paperwork must stay with the birds'. Which of course they are but then the keeper according to them is not myself. I have, in the past, suggested a form which is similar to the V5 (registration of a car), in which the seller completes the purchasers details on one part of the form and sends this off, the purchaser completes the other half (a two part item) part of which he retains and the other part he sends to DEFRA. The two should match at the DEFRA offices and the new owner is issued with a full Certificate. The birds are then 'monitored'. If a new buyer wants to make a fast buck by selling straight away - without the full paperwork - at least any new buyer will know that he hasn't registered the bird and will not be able to register in his own name therefore will not 'legally' be able to register offspring.
Hand rearing is a phenominon which has taken off big time with the introduction of hand rearing formulas. Do we then blame the manufacturers and get them to pay back a sum of money to the conservation societies or do we put the blame on the breeder?
The problem with cockatoos is that they are being hand reared and like all hand reared birds want the attention all the time and to obtain it they either scream or pluck. Pet owners do not understand this in general terms as they want a pet which will act like the pet dog - this will never happen.
You now see birds being hand reared from Budgies upwards - something that in my youth was never thought about as a bird soon settled and you had your nips etc when calming (I am only in my mid fifties so don't consider myself too old!!). Cockatoos very rarely convert back to being an aviary bird - yes they will be quite happy outside but do not make good partners etc.(I know to my bitter experience with a medium cock bird who after five years in an aviary attacked any hen put with him as he still thinks he is human). The true answer to the plucking/screaming is DO NOT HAND REAR. i had said many times in these forums that I admit that I have hand reared but quickly realized that it did not do the birds any good - not worried about the humans - and so stopped doing it . I have problems selling my young I must also admit - as breeders do not want to wait for them to mature (again part of the new type of breeders) and future owners do not want to buy as they want an 'instant pet'.

Bouvier

adminnew
Site Admin

Post by adminnew » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:25 pm

During my 28 years on the P.S. Council many tens of thousands of pounds have been given to Conservation in some cases it works now and tourists can now see Macaws in their natural habitat etc. But in others the cost of some Cockatoos and Macaws fetch more than a year’s wages to starving trappers who take a chance and hope to ship some out.

I too have nothing but Cockatoos and have done so for the last 40 years. When I first started it was almost impossible to obtain parrotlike because of ban bought about by fear of Psittacosis. In all the years I have kept Cockatoos I have only ever finished one youngster off and said after that they will have to rear their own. All our birds now rear their own youngsters. Years ago you went into a pet shop bought a parrot took it home and spent time and patience with it to tame it. In this day and age a lot of breeders have no thought for their parrots apart from killing them by over breeding and then finding the replacement that they bought has been hand reared and has not a clue what to do, and if its a hen it propobly gets killed by a frustrated Cock bird. I have one hand reared cock bird here (I did not breed it) and it is utterly useless terrified of a hen and if it does attempt to mate its a case of anywhere but the correct end.

As far as I am concerned taking eggs and incubating them should be made illegal the same as wild birds, if parrots could not incubate and rear in the wild they would be extinct. It’s got to the point with me that this will be my last season and then all birds go and all flights pulled down. Pop holes and doorways bricked up and that will leave a 30ft x 15ft workshop with electrics and water etc. I no longer wish to be associated with parrot breeding as it is today.

martink

Post by martink » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:47 pm

I think thats a bit harsh, several breeders are now parent rearing and i for 1 found parent reared birds easier to sell last year. I think the tide is turning and the trend to hand rear is slowly being replaced by more careing and better educated breeders. The import ban will surely help this along and perhaps breeders who are lucky enough to have more space can retain birds for longer and sell birds nearer breeding age. I have more birds too young to breed than breeding age prs so there are some of us prepared to wait.

craftsmaster

Post by craftsmaster » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:14 am

World Parrot Trust is doing parrot conservation by taking them to a laboratory for medication and let them free after a period of isolation. This is to save the outgoing specie of parrots.

jdh23515

Post by jdh23515 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:44 am

conure parrot

Post by conure parrot » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:04 am

Parrot start talking and other conversation from the age of 1 year. Most breed of parrot start talk from 1 year but some breeds are present in this universe which never speak in whole life and some breeds even can speak but they just speak a few lines in a day and not more even how much urge them to speak. It depend upon nature of breed
http://cuteparrots.com

Tiffansy

Post by Tiffansy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:00 am

Parrot Conservation In my travels I have been extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to see parrots in the wild. It is overwhelming, breathtaking and simply