Parrot sitters

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

olye
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Parrot sitters

Post by olye » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:16 pm

Hi, we live in central London and have an eight year old African Grey, and a Cockatiel who keeps him company. We use a few vets and bird boarders who will take the birds when we go on holiday, but I'd really like to find people who would do 'bird sitting' and come and say hello and feed the birds if we go away for just a couple of nights - when it seems mad to take them somewhere else.

Its impossible to ask friends to come in (as you might with a cat or dog) as it has to be someone who knows birds and is not frightened. Does anyone out there have any ideas - or what do you normally do if you want to go away?

I won't leave them on their own for more than one night - does anyone have any opinion on this?

arwen_7

Post by arwen_7 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:45 pm

maybe look for other parrot owners near you and have a talk with them? maybe u could come to an agreement like, went u go away they look after ur birds and vis versa?

or put an add in local petshops/vets looking for someone with experience of keeping birds and willing to pet sit for you.

Oscar345

Parrot sitters

Post by Oscar345 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:55 pm

We are in a similar position in that we have an African Grey parrot who has previously been looked after by a family member when we go on holidays. However we now have to make alternative arrangements. Do you know any good parrot sitters in the South London/Surrey borders area?

Depending on location we would be willing to consider a mutually agreeable parrot sitting arrangement with other likeminded owners. Please let me know if you can assist.
Trevor

andy007

parrot sitter

Post by andy007 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:18 pm

Hi,
Is there not a web site where you can look for a local person to take the parrot to ?
I'm buying one soon and I will be in the same boat

olye

Post by olye » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:46 pm

There are people around who will look after birds or board them. Ask your vet - on that subject, there only seems to be one avian vet in London - C.J.Hall in Sheen. Anyone know of any others?

My original question was really about when I want to go away for only two nights, and it's a nightmare to take the birds somewhere else (and expensive if you don't have a car - taxis). I've posted a notice on local residents association now tho, so wait and see.

Think the reply from Surrey was a bit far to have a reciprocal arrangment in central London unfortunately, but anyone closer plaease post!

stumpy-polecat

Post by stumpy-polecat » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:20 pm

Hello I have a parrot and I regually do, do pet sitting (everything from birds to horses) and if anyone is having probs finding a parrot sitter I would be happy to help. I live in south east London but dont mind traveling if traveling is payed for. I move around quite abit in the day so I may be very near to you that day hence little traveling cost. Feel free to email me on really_am_i@hotmail.com. I will also stay at your house and look after the parrot if you wish.
I can supply references if you wish.
Hope this helps people :lol:
Cat

jumpingparrot

Message to Olye. We could exchange,

Post by jumpingparrot » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:29 pm

Hi. I amjust as concerned as you are. I have non bird keeping friends looking after mine, but I always believe that bird keepers are the best to care for other birds, as we know about the human contact that is sometimes needed, cleaning the poo, water spraying the feathers, fresh fruits and veg etc and looking out for illness.

I note that you were looking for someone last year, but if the situation has not changed since get in contact. We meet, we meet our pets, exchange I.D.s etc... and it could get started from there.

Daniel d_z@gmx.net
Kings Cross

Message to others, yes CJ Hall will board birds for 15 Pounds a day! But we have cage free living birdies and this would therefore cause stress

stumpy-polecat

Post by stumpy-polecat » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:32 pm

there is an avian vet called companion care in themsmeed and one in chalton too if that helps.

There is also a lady from the animal semaritans who looks after birds whilst their owners are way.
Cat

natasha81

I can parrot sit!

Post by natasha81 » Sat May 19, 2007 6:50 pm

Hi there!

Iv had the same problems about my parrots so cant go on holidays much. I have 3 cockatoos (two of which iv had for 15 years now, one for 4 years and have 2 cockatiels for 10 years) so know alot on how to handle birds. I live in central london near Paddington so would love to do parrot sitting for you and anyone else. Plz email me on tasha1432@hotmail.com. Id realy love to help! :)

steveskelton

Re: Parrot sitters

Post by steveskelton » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:09 pm

Hi everyone,
My name is Steve I have an African Grey and a Cockatiel. I live in Harringay North London and I usually go on holiday at Christmas. Last year I left my Birds with Alan Jones the vet at his practice in Crawley. (I believe he was once actually Chairman of the Parrot Society) He charges approx £49 per bird per week which is very good, as he is one of the top avian vets in this country. I may be available to do a reciprocal arrangement with anyone in my area. My e-mail is: stephenskelton1800@yahoo.co.uk

inkochan

Post by inkochan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:34 pm

Hi everyone my name is Ezgi.

I didn't know there were so many people who had the same trouble of finding a suitable person to look after their pets birds while they go away :) i had the same trouble 3 years a go when I left my 3 budgies to my local pet shop. I came back to find only one was alive, after that family was my best bet. The remaining budgie is now 7 years old, I also have an albino budgie as a mate for him although that hasn't deterred him from speaking! I am currently a receptionist in a veterinary practice in islington. I would be more than happy to take care of your birds while you are away. If you are interested or have any questions send me an email: nezgiakarsu@hotmail.co.uk

laloritaamazonas1

Post by laloritaamazonas1 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:19 am

Hello there guys,

I am from Bolivia, I have had birds parrots, tucans, macaws all my life and over the years
I have develop a passion for birds.

I am very good with birds as I have one of my own. I have work in a zoo also as a parrot trainer and its something I enjoy doing.

I can come to your house and pet sitter, give you great references.

Email me if you have any questions:

Noirdessire@yahoo.com

Regards

Joyce

Dario

Post by Dario » Mon May 09, 2016 12:06 pm

Hi Guy's

Please could someone point me in the right direction or get back to me regarding "Parrot Sitting"

We are planning to go away for a long weekend and will need someone to look after our parrots for us.
We live in Forest Hill SE23 and don't know anyone else close to us who is Bird orientated. We would normally leave them with my sister but she is coming with us.

We have two Blue-throated Conures who are very tame but do not take to kindly to strangers.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dario

Charl80

Post by Charl80 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:47 am

Hi Dario,

We live in New Cross and have a pet cockatiel- did you manage to find anyone to look after your birds?
My brother who would normally look after our pets is away.

Charlotte

Vlada

Post by Vlada » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:08 pm

Hello, I live in Central London and am going to get a first parrot next week. However I probably have a friend to sit for me if I'm away just for a little bit I am concerned about the summer holidays when I might go away for a whole month! Does anyone know a good boarding facility (I'll have a small Green cheeked conure) or a sitter for long period of time? Also with sitter, aren't you afraid to give keys to your home to a stranger? Or is there a way to make it secure?
Thank you for any responses!