hello im a new owner of a orange winged amazon parrot

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

philly-billy-rocks
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

hello im a new owner of a orange winged amazon parrot

Post by philly-billy-rocks » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:42 am

hello im new here my name is chanelle and i have recently brought a three year old orange winged amazon parrot. her name is charlie and her old owner had to ger rid of her cause she screamed the house down when he was out. she came with a huge 6ft cage and loads of toys she has settled into her new home reli well which was surpriseing cause i know shes normally very wary of new people.
anybody have any advice on keeping such a noisey destructive parrot?

Bouvier

Post by Bouvier » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:02 am

Orange wings are noisy by nature and it is hard to control the 'screaming', especially if it is hand reared as it will want attention all the time. If parent reared the bird would usually 'call' in the morning and in the evening with a slight bout during the day. It may also react to the noise of a hoover - don't know why but all the amazons I have had in the house do - it seems to be a competition to outshout. Amazons Win.
You can re-direct the destruction side by providing branching etc for it to chew.
Do not give the bird too many toys etc in one go as it will merely get bored with them the best way is to keep to pieces of wood/tree etc and allow it to destoy that. Do not leave the bird out on its own even for a short while as the interesting things around your home will attract it like no bodies business and you will soon find holes where you didn't realise they could be.

Good luck

Bouvier

philly-billy-rocks

thanx

Post by philly-billy-rocks » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:00 pm

thanx my parrot has learnd to fly into the kitchen which is reli dangerous how do i stop her saying no doesnt work
Amazon parrot: Charlie(F) (2004)

Bouvier

Post by Bouvier » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:23 pm

The easiest way would of course be to close the kitchen door when you are in there or don't want it to fly in. If this is not possible then every time the bird flies to you in the kitchen remove it and place it back in the cage for a short while. If it shouts for attention then just ignore it or this will be a demanding possition which you are obeying and it becomes a game. Try to be as calm as possible and if s/he lands on you walk calmly to the cage and put it in. The bird will soon learn the boundries just remember do not shout, try to grab at it and 'throw' it out, or wave your arms about trying to chase it away, the bird will just fly around you. Also try not to allow it to perch above you ie if it lands on top of a door don't allow it to stay there but take it down and place it on the cage or if you have a stand on that but at a lower position to yourself (lower than head/shoulder height).

Bouvier

philly-billy-rocks

Post by philly-billy-rocks » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:14 pm

thanks for the advice its funny how you dont think of the simple things. i though we were going to have real trouble with this parrot id met her a few times b4 and she didnt like any1 except her owner but shes settled in realy nice and goes to everyone in the family we were lucky even the dogs like her lol

philly-billy-rocks

Re: hello im a new owner of a orange winged amazon parrot

Post by philly-billy-rocks » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:00 pm

just thought id give you an update shes still here and doing great but boy does she have a temper!! :lol: and shes sooo naughty she laughs when you tell her off screams when you leave the room but shes such a character!!! she rolls over lets you tickle her belly and loves to get kisses!. were haveing to put her in her cage while we eat because she eats your food off your plate she loves potatoes!!

most of the time shes well behaved we had her wings clipped by the vet but she kept jumping off the cage and she hurt her leg so weve let em grow back boy is it annoying she just flys at you constantly no matter how many times you tell her no and wave franticky lol

awww shes five this year were trying to find some good training stuff for her as shes getting really hard to control, we dnt want her to end up having to go to another home and shes getting to the age where they can start to be very naughty especially as she is hand raised :?

and shes still not talking but i dnt mind shes such a clown lol

Bouvier

Post by Bouvier » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:50 am

Well done to keep up with the bird. The problems you are getting are typical of hand reared birds as they only know you as family, and they think they are human and of course want to be with you all the time. It really is like a 5yr old child who wants mum all the time. You mentioned that the wings were clipped by a vet. The trouble is that most vets will clip both wings which ends in the result you had of the birds hurting themselves either on their legs or breast bones. This is especially dangerous with young birds as they have a tendancy to damage the breast beyond repair. If you want to 'restrict' the flight then simply clip one wing, clipping the 'small' inner feathers rather then the long 'finger' ones. This will allow the bird to fly by it will have to work at it and will be 'off ballance' so will not get as high. This will also help in the training stages. The following year when they have regrown do the same, but to the opposite side.
Can I suggest that you do not rub his/her belly area as this may stimulate it into its breeding mode. Although it seems right to us, after all we do it to our dogs without recourse, this and scratching the back just above the tail is part of the lead up to breeding with birds as their partners do it to them. The best areas are the head and breast only - areas which cannot be reached by the bird and is preened by its mate etc.
When the bird flys at you Don't Flap simply allow it to land and place it back on its stand or cage. Its a long process but it will eventually get the idea.

Good luck
Bouvier

philly-billy-rocks

Post by philly-billy-rocks » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:57 pm

thanx for the advice weve been reading up alot about parrots lots of sites give you sooo much different information its confusing lol ive herd alot about the troubles of hand raised birds, when the vet cliped her wings he only clipped the shorter ones and left the "finger" ones but shes so clumsy she doesnt try and fly into the kitchen anymore, i read in alot of places that if you clip only one side of their wings it can cause spinal problems is this right??

i wish some one would have told me bout rubbing her belly/back because she lies down and i think shes quite "fruity" we were thinking of getting her a friend one thats in need of a home but were not sure about wether she would get very jelous as shes soo protective of my mom were not intending on breeding her we wouldnt mind another boy or girl as ive heard they will get on with either do you think its a good idea??

janeinthecorner

Post by janeinthecorner » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 am

Hello, I have a pair of Orange Wings and they live in the house and fly around and sit on the curtain rail, and fly down to sit on us and eat our food at lunch times. They are not silly tame as both were parent reared,and they are bonded to each other with lots of foot nibbling and mutual preening going on. Personally, I would get your bird's sex confirmed if it isn't already, and try to get the opposite sex. The problems that I have encountered are that 1. two males might argue. 2. two females might fight like mad 3. a true pair might love each other and totally ignore you. 4. a bird on its own needs so much attention. Parrots are very intelligent. How would you feel if you were kept by a couple of aliens with no other contact with your species? LOL. I have experienced all these combinations and I prefer boy and girl as it is more natural for them, and there is always the chance that they might get their act together and try to nest. I have had ten chicks parent reared in my house. I feel it an honour to be so trusted by the birds. Mind, the birds can get very territorial and bitey when they are nesting, even semi-tame ones, so if you did go down that road be aware that they may revert to wildness for a while. I think that jealousy is when a bird thinks a human is a mate, but I have never had one bird on its own so I don't know much about that.

Bouvier

Post by Bouvier » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:22 am

You mention that you have heard that clipping a wing will cause spinal problems. If a bird is clipped on one wing when it is at the stage of learning to fly i.e. hand reared and 12 -14 weeks old then this will cause problems, however if your bird is mature than one wing simply puts it off balance and it learns to compensate (by extra flapping). To use the same wing each year may cause problems as it is always compensating on the same side that is why the other wing should be clipped the following season. In one way I agree with the remarks by jane, in that a bird on its own needs attention but if it is hand reared it does not realise that it is a parrot and does believe it to be a human, hence the problems that are encountered. She mentions that she has parent reared birds as pets and that they are well adjusted, which is exactly my point. The problem with a hand reared bird is that you may bring another into the 'flock' but this may cause your original bird to panic as it may never have seen another bird and then the second one is an 'alien' to it. If you do get lucky and they enjoy each others company than the problem could be that you loose out. I would suggest that if you do not intend breeding then why not stick to one bird only. Yes the bird will be on its own when you are at work however given the proper environment it will soon learn that this is routine. The trick is plenty of toys in that I mean differing types of wood to chew etc. but do not put too much in at once as it will soon get bored with the same things. Change items on a regular basis, the bird will soon adapt to your altering the things if done regularly enough. (The only ones that seem to fret more than any are Greys so you should be fine.)

The biggest problems encountered on forums, and I mean this with no disrespect to anyone, is that there is too much info myths and legends are easily passed on by inexperienced owners. A simple example of this is giving Fir tree branches to parrots is poisonous, this is not true. The only time fir becomes poisonous is when it has been sprayed to retain the 'pine leafs'or when left in an aviary where water is left on the ground and the leaves fall into the water and stagnate. This then becomes poisonous and smaller birds easily succumb.
regards
Bouvier

philly-billy-rocks

Post by philly-billy-rocks » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:23 pm

hi thanks for your info my parrot is a proven female, she is hand reared and since having her ive read so much on the hand reared ones developing behavioural problems, this is why we are trying to do a bit of training with her as she is very naughty and no longer stops when you tell her no! she has alot of toys which we do rotate for her, but tbh she doesnt bother with them much not even if shes locked in her cage, we do try and keep a rountine but everyone in my house does shifts shes never alone for more than a few hours a day and most of the time were not all in so she will "put up" with whoever is in lol,
ive noticed with my bird that when my mom has a few days off she will become very demanding, screaming when my moms out the room, flying over constantly and making a nucense of herself even when left in her cage, most days she will happily play by herself on her cage or sit in the window, we try not let her on the windowsil too much in the winter because it can be drafty but in the summer she would happily sit there all day if we left her, we just dnt know what to do with her on the days when she decides shes not going to leave us alone she flys onto you and holds on to anything she can, normally your hair lol

philly-billy-rocks

Post by philly-billy-rocks » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:44 pm

Oh wow 10 years on and reading this made me cringe so bad 😂
We still have Charlie, last year she laid eggs for the first time and were just at the beginning of crazy hormonal Charlie time again.