Cockatoo help!

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

flamtastic_jack87

Cockatoo help!

Post by flamtastic_jack87 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:06 pm

Hi everyone,

First off if like to say hi! Im new to this forum and I'm hoping somebody may be able to offer some advice...I have a 4 year old Citroen crested cockatoo called Buster. He was hand fed as a chick and handled regularly. I got him when he was old enough to leave the breeder and he's regularly handled and interacted with. He developed a fear of my hand around 2 years ago as I usually commanded him to step up to put him back in his cage, which he hates. So if I say "step up," he will panic and fly away. He will step up on his own terms sometimes but he does panic when I approach him with my hand, so I only do it if he's comfortably sitting/playing on me and I instead say "up," and he will and gets rewarded handsomely with sunflower seeds! He still freaks out when it's time for him to go back in his cage because he senses it.

This isn't my main worry though. Today, he started to act VERY aggressively towards me. He hasn't been out of his cage yet and I'm not comfortable letting him out while he's being this aggressive. He's tracking/following me around the room/his cage and if I approach his cage, he will lunge very sharply at me and attack the bars. Has anybody else had anything similar happen? He's usually such a happy, but sometimes nervous, bird and has never done anything like this bedore! I'm so comfortable with him that he usually nibbles my lip/gives me kisses/enjoys having long tickles. I'm really troubled by this behaviour and I'm not sure what to do :(