Taking our new cockatoo on holiday to France

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

AngieW

Taking our new cockatoo on holiday to France

Post by AngieW » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:45 am

Hello, we are rescuing/buying a 24 year old cockatoo that has no paperwork. We have a holiday home in France that we travel to a four times a year and want to take our new family member with us. We would be grateful for any advice regarding the paperwork and vets visits needed to take her out, and then bring her back in again.
We are also worried that as she has no paperwork we will not be able to prove ownership, and how we would get a CITES permit (if we need one). The present owners do not know what breed she is, but she is pure white and we are guessing at an umbrella, although we hope that when we take her to an avian vet they will be able to tell us. Many thanks, Angela & Graham

Pelmore
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: Taking our new cockatoo on holiday to France

Post by Pelmore » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:15 pm

Hi, I've just moved to France, my friend is currently looking after my birds until we move into our permanent house. I am going to collect them in September. It does seem fairly straightforward to bring them into France. If you email LiveAnimalExports.Carlisle@apha.gsi.gov.uk they will send you the forms that are needed and they will also advise you about bringing him/her back in after your holiday, I have found them very helpful.