Blue Fronted Amazon

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

Kiwi

Blue Fronted Amazon

Post by Kiwi » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:38 pm

Hi all,

I'm new and this is my first post.
So I'm the proud new Mummy of a beautiful blue front named Kiwi. He has been with us for two weeks and I already rush home to see him everyday.
I think my other half is getting a little tired of the daily phone calls asking what and how much he has eaten etc. lol. :lol:

Anyway, we are making progress with our relationship. He allows me to scratch his beak for all of two seconds, will take treats from me and loves time out of his cage. He even started preening my hair yesterday as I attached a new toy in his cage.
My problem so far has been training him to do the basics...step up etc. He will not let me touch him and will not under any circumstances consider stepping up.

I started the clicker training with the stick which he kind of gets. But this is all done in the cage and if you take the the stick too far away or try it with step up, he point blank refuses, treat or no treat.
I thought it would be better outside of the cage, but as I can't touch him, I can't get him out. When he does come out, he either sits on top of the cage or flies around. The moment he sees any type of hand movement, he flies straight back on top of the curtain pole!

I'm fine with being patient and taking things at his pace...after all we have 50 or so years together to come!
What I am afraid of is doing something wrong!
:shock: :?:
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

geoffrey3
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: Blue Fronted Amazon

Post by geoffrey3 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:21 pm

welcome but owing a parrot well they own us but hope you keep at it remember keep parrot well away from kitchen or iron boards has alot of boards now come impregnated with teflon same with the kitchen pot and pans this can affect your parrots breathing and kill it so beaware if you havent been told amazons well they like the grey can talk well if one persists with the teaching chocolate another no no keeping him healthy very small amount of mixed parrot seed and plenty of fruit and veg will keep him healthy has for training perhaps others will come online for one but remember they will peck and it hurts but then they are like a small child and peck you one minute the next preening you but if ones asks for help i hope others will post for you but this weekend is our biggest show of the yr up at stafford show grounds were there be many members tables if one does go call at table number 208 but whotever keep looking in to your post

Kiwi

Post by Kiwi » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:12 pm

Thanks for the reply...
I'm up to date with feeding etc. And he isn't my firet bird but he is my first 'big' baby :P

Anyway, we made a lot of progress this weekend. Today he saw me standing in the kitchen with some grapes. He called to me and I said Kiwi, if you want one you have to come and get it because I'm a little busy. I then put out my arm and to my suprise, he did exactly that. He flew staight on to my arm, took the grape and ate it. He then flee back to his cage. And that's how it went for the rest of the day.
Just goes to show that they will trust you when they are good and ready and it felt nicer that he decided to come to ke himself rather than because I kept bugging him to.
As for talking and training, I only want to do that for the basics of coming, going and potty. All the rest (tricks, talking) is extra that would be great but isn't essential to us. As long as he is comfortable in the family :D
Thanks again

geoffrey3
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Post by geoffrey3 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:16 am

sorry now im seeing your reply but how are you and amazon getting on has a few yrs ago i sold a hand reared has the pair dont sit on their first clutch i hatched em myself that they were from day one only new human and their sibling yet one went to maisteg woman who like you trains it but a yr later after my call to see ifall well the blue front was talking two to a dozen some people iut seems are better than others but whotever enjoy your pet and keep posting its nice to see people using thid site jeff