Bird ring identification? New bird owner needs help.

Find out how and when

Moderator: teiltown

Bird ring identification? New bird owner needs help.

Post by susanpalmer9383 » Mon May 16, 2016 3:36 pm

I'm new to this page and was after some advice please. I am a paramedic and about 6 months ago I attended a job where a lady had passed away. She had no family or friends. She had 2 dogs and an African Grey parrot. The RSPCA took the dogs but would not take the bird. The police were getting nowhere and were going to let this poor bird fly out of a window so I offered to keep the bird (this was all done legitimately with the police). This poor bird had virtually plucked all of its feathers from its chest and was in darkness for approx 1 week. Fast forward 6 months later and this gorgeous bird now has a full chest of feathers, is very happy and is part of our family. We've named "it" Percy. The only frustrating thing is we have no history about it. Is it a boy or girl? How old? etc. The bird has a closed silver ring with "3 BG V". I was wondering if we could get any info from this ring? This bird has become a family pet and talks, sings, burps and laughs. It loves kisses and will let you hold him/her although it has taken a preference to my husband.
Sorry for the long winded post but we've never kept birds before so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Bird ring identification? New bird owner needs help.

Post by jgrey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:34 pm

Bless you Susan for taking Percy in, do you still have him/her? The ring number looks like breeders initials, the three could be Percy was baby number three, when hatched, the V I reckon is the ring size. Breeders tend to have slightly different ways of stamping their rings. Jaspers is different as hers has 07 on which is the year she hatched :)

Not sure if admin can help with a list of breeders, or contact the society magazine for info. You might never know the sex as most breeders don't test for that :)

Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: Bird ring identification? New bird owner needs help.

Post by geoffrey3 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:38 am

thamk you for being there for this bird it seems that all the bird needed was a family to love just post asking someone will answer you please go through other posts especialy the post on ironing