Transporting a Cockatoo and Amazon Green

Find out how and when

Moderator: teiltown

Transporting a Cockatoo and Amazon Green

Post by snapdragon » Sat May 14, 2016 9:26 pm

Hi - I'm hoping that I can find some advice. We are moving home and have a 12 hour journey ahead of us. When we moved to our current place we inherited an Amazon Green and a Cockatoo with the property. They have an outside aviary with a heated shed for bedtime. Now we have to move home and so do they. As far as we know, this is the only home that they have known for at least 25 years. Where do we start? Which is the most stress free and safest way to transport them? When we actually get to the other end they will have to be in inside cages until we can build them a new shed and aviary. It is going to be such a terrible upheaval for them but I can't see any other way around it.
Would it be a good idea to do a couple of little practice runs? Our Cockatoo is handled daily but our Amazon is very agressive, always has been and hates to be touched in any way. If anyone has any suggestions on the best way to do this, I would be so grateful for the advice. Thanks for reading this.

Re: Transporting a Cockatoo and Amazon Green

Post by fredaroberts » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:39 am

shame no one replied, I am in the same position, would be interested to find out how you got on?

Re: Transporting a Cockatoo and Amazon Green

Post by jgrey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:40 pm

Sorry no one replied to either of you, it is a quiet forum. i haven't logged in for over two years and it hasn't changed at all x

Hope you managed to move safely with your birds, what an inheritance. Lucky you x

I know others who have moved long distances with their birds and they have been fine. If they're traveling with you, allow for stops, for fresh air if it's warm especially. They should cope fine, if they're not used to traveling, take them on a few short trips to see family or to the park. Someone's house would be good as they will know they can come out at the other end :)