Indian blue ringneck

Find out how and when

Moderator: teiltown

diamond66

Indian blue ringneck

Post by diamond66 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:24 pm

Hi all.
Today i went to take a look at a blue ringneck for sale in a petshop which was advertised as 5 mths old. Long story short, after a lengthy journey i finally got to meet the bird. It was clear that it was not 5 mths of age because he has a prominent black ring which indicates he was definitely a male and over 18 mths old? He wasnt hand tame i was told and was a bit of a handful to catch ( she had to use a glove ) History of the bird was vague and i noticed that he wasn't wearing a leg band like most i have seen. A few things i noted about the bird made me feel sorry for him so i bought him home anyway. Why does he not have a leg band ? is this a problem or could there be an explanation for this.

Many thanks for any help and answers .

Carlos2412

Re: Indian blue ringneck

Post by Carlos2412 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:31 pm

Hi I also have a just got a ringneck which has no ring on its leg,I bought it from an auction I felt sorry for it because some of its chest feathers are missing,I am referring to the bird as it because we're not sure what age it is or if it's male or female,presently it has no or should I say a very faint ring around the neck so we have assumed it is a female and have named her poppy,she is very timid and as soon as you go near her cage she spuarks in bursts of three and moves hurriedly to the back of her cage squarking all the time,she is eating fine and seems fine when you don't go near her,maybe it's just she needs time to settle in,anyway any information anyone can provide wil be greatly appreciated.

teiltown
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: Indian blue ringneck

Post by teiltown » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:55 am

Hi Guys,

The first question that needs to be asked pf you both is where do you live?
Ring necks are becoming very established in the wild in the southern counties of the uk and are startign to spread North.

It is likely that they may be wild caught birds which are then being sold on in the pet trade.
The next thing to mention is that in general Ringnecks do not make very good pets nd are more ideally suited to an avairy environment with plenty of room to fly.

However, over time, they should settle down a little and become more adjusted to their new environment. As with taming all birds, patience and persistence is the way forward.
PLease remeber that these birds require a large portion of fruit in their diet and don't forge to give them the natural light and showers to keep there feathers in tiptop condition.

Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.