disabled parrot keeper

Moderator: teiltown

gill.bridge

disabled parrot keeper

Post by gill.bridge » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:29 pm

Was this designed for the disabled parrot or the disabled keeper please?

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:00 pm

You are quite right in your assumption this section is for disabled persons to discuss how they cope with their hobby

A.GREY
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Post by A.GREY » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:03 pm

it would be intresting to hear other views on what to do in a perticular situation as i to am disabled
It's bye from me

bobby2

A Grey, Whats your problem?

Post by bobby2 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:33 pm

How can we help?
Kind regards
Gill

Old Codger

Post by Old Codger » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:01 pm

Hello there, welcome,

Have you owned birds before? One of the nice things about parrots is how perseptive of the state of health of their owners.

A.GREY

Post by A.GREY » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:57 pm

i have had birds for about oooo 4 years now i started after i inhirited a canary and yhen i got a cocktatiel ( still got) and recued another (placed in an avairy) ive always admired parrots and thought how lovely it would be to have one my self, i am disabled i have cerebral palsy it doesnt affect me that much i just have to adapt new methords of dealing with things. Poppet has got used to the way i walk and sits on my shoulder as i walk around the house ... she is pretty much as good as gold well apart from the occational "do i have to go back yet??" lol
It's bye from me

lee

Re: disabled parrot keeper

Post by lee » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:44 am

Nice to know that there are other disabled people that keep parrots/birds, I'm thinking about keeping either a large(ish) parrot or some smaller parrots in the near future, Got some things coming up in the next few months that would prevent me from giving the time/attention that a parrot would need, but I'm doing lots of research at the moment. so that after the next few months, I'll be prepared and have a better idea where I am with regards to keeping some birds and be able to move forward with any plans.

adminnew
Site Admin

Post by adminnew » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:08 pm

Keep searching as much information as you can regarding what type of parrot before you buy ask on here for suitability there are some 360 varieties of parrots in size 4 1/2" upto 38inches from a few pounds to hundereds of thousands of pounds. Somepeople rush in and spend a lot of money only to find it is not suitable and more or less have to give the bird away. Keep looking and asking

Battleaxe10

Post by Battleaxe10 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:24 am

Hi there

I am a disabled bird keeper, I have an avairy, and a hand tame cockertiel, and senegal. As my disability is basically mobility, have I arranged the avairy so that all the feed, and equipment is a waist height, and I use a long handled dustpan and brush, so I don't have to bend down.

My main problem in the senegal, as he is not hand tame, so when he is out of the cage I cannot get him back in, easily, so if anyone has any ideas I would be ever so grateful.

Helen

Michael Reynolds

Post by Michael Reynolds » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi I am not disabled and I do have a senegal so I hope this tip may assist you. When I was training mine I found the best way to train it to go back in it cage was to tack all of its food out 2 hours before you let him free and only replace the food in the cage when you want him to go back in. You must let him see you and the food going in the cage. I started doing this before it got dark and then when it starts to get dark i put the food in his cage. now he tends to go into his cage as soon as it gets dark with no problem. I hope you dont mind me replying on this page anyway good luck with him.

Battleaxe10

Post by Battleaxe10 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi there

Many thanks for your advice and tip, I will certainly be giving it a go.

I had never thought of using the food as an incentive to encourage my sennie to return to the cage.

Once again many thanks

Helen