disabled parrot

Moderator: teiltown

stumpy-polecat
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Post by stumpy-polecat » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:35 pm

When I first got my cockatoo he didnt fly but tryed to he would flap down from his cage (very ungainly) and he would try to fly up but needed a massive run up to just fly a foot up. One day my brother was convinced that he could fly so chased him round the room and he flew (poor sod he was so out of breath) but since then he has been flying quite a lot. He is getting quite good at it now. Does your bird have room to fly around as in lots of room? As when they are not so good at flying they are nervous about flying around. When I had a massive cage for my cockatoo he never flew but since I got him a smaller cage he has been flying everywhere.
Cat

conure keeper

Post by conure keeper » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:38 am

hi cat
there is plenty of space for him to fly around if he wanted to. stevie was chased poor thing by the dog i was fostering but he still didnt manage to fly. its funny because he doesnt even open his wings anymore he just jumps off his cage! he had quite a bad fall two days ago and he broke off most of his primarys on his good wing and has really gone to town on the wing he mutilates so i dont think he could try and fly even if he wanted to at the moment.
a friend suggested he might just be suicidal lol.
conure keeper

natasha81

Cooky cant fly either :(

Post by natasha81 » Sat May 19, 2007 9:20 pm

Hi there.

My umbrella cockatoo Cooky cant fly either. The previous owners used to have his wings clipped so he grew up without knowing. Therefore he probaly feels like a human and seems to enjoy it so is not botherd about flying. He is very tame and loving so lets most people handle him. How old is Stevie? If he's too old then i dont think he'll adapt to flying as he'll be used to just walking like what iv seen with my Cooky. But if he's young then he may adapt.

I gues regular practice of trying to make him fly could help. I tried to make Cooky fly by showing him something he was afraid of while he'd sit on a door so then he'd aim to land on me but it wasnt successful and then i didnt want to try many times untill i have a big space in a garden or aviary. Thats all i can think off. It sounds harsh about showing him something he's afraid off but i reckon we'v got to get the fear out of them to make them fly so they become more confident and realise. But its best to do this in a big open space where he cant bump into any hard furniture.

Perhaps if there's 2 people standing opposite eachother at a distance then someone needs to show something he's afraid off in order to trigger the courage in him to fly and then he'll hopfully land on the other person. And then keep practicing this. But i just rememberd that you said you cant handle Stevie so i guess this wont work. Sorry im not sure what you should do :?

Below is a link to view a pic of Cooky sitting with my cockatiel called Merry after having some tea so his beak is wet,lol

http://pics-00.hi5.com/userpics/200/189 ... 00.img.jpg

conure keeper

Post by conure keeper » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:48 pm

hi
stevie is about 1 and a half but its hard to say exactly given his back ground. he has just moved into a much bigger cage and has started flapping his wings about in it..he has also jumped of the top in an attempt to fly which on one hand is good because he is trying but on the other hand could be a problem as its a long way down and he lands with a thud.
conure keeper