Bourke parakeet overpreening mate

Moderator: teiltown

nosila

Bourke parakeet overpreening mate

Post by nosila » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:27 pm

Just wondered if anyone had encountered a male Bourke that preens their mate to such a degree they have no feathers and very sore backs. This is an 8 year old male living in a large aviary, access to flight outside with other 7 Bourkes and 6 cockatiels. They have all been very happy for at least 8 years with no problems. sadly the other day I discovered a hen with horrible looking injuries and could not understand how this may have happened until I spent a few hours watching and saw this particular cockbird zealously pulling at the back of his newest mate. Obviously I should remove him from the rest but wondered if anyone else had come across this particular trait and how to counteract it if anything. I do not put nest boxes in as the cockatiels are all ex pets that I have taken on and just live in a happy group of 6, even at this time of year. I would be very interested to know if anyone else has had this happen as I have kept Bourkes for at least 15 years and have never come across this.

Thanks
Nosila