Hatching eggs ??????

Moderator: teiltown

mrchips

Hatching eggs ??????

Post by mrchips » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:58 pm

Is it possible to get hatching eggs for macaws & / or Cockatoos?

We have a hand reared Senegal of 22 years and a rescued, silly tame IRN of uncertain age and we would like to try to hand rear, particularloy a blue and gold macaw or two and also a Sulphur Crested (or Lesser) Cockatoo or similar birds. We live in the country with a load of lovebirds and some pennants and Pygmy goats and chipmunks and extras and we have no near neighbours. Raising some larger parrots in our big old barn and extending our outdoor aviaries to house them is the next project.

Now we need to source the eggs. Anyone any ideas other than the obvious, i.e. buying a breeding pair and waiting for them to lay!

teiltown
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: Hatching eggs ??????

Post by teiltown » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:27 pm

Dear Mrchips.

Firstly - Hatching eggs for parrots are not as readily available as those for chickens.
Most Parrots will only lay 1 or 2 clutches a year, and the birds you are talking about only lay on average 2-3 eggs per clutch.
Due to the longevity of the birds, the eggs are somewhat very valuable and I dare say you will find it extremely difficult to convince the breeder to part with the eggs for anything less than the actual cost of one of the chicks, which in this instance is likely to be £700 - £1000 pounds or upwards.

Secondly - Have you ever hand reared a parrot specie previously? Once feeding begins, and this is sometimes a very tricky point to decide, for the first few days, they require feeding every 100 minutes or so, and then every 2 hours round the clock. Only from a few days old can you start leaving the night break alittle longer giving the crop a chance to empty. You will still be feeding them intensively 8-10 weeks down the line and they won't be fully weaned until 13 weeks.

Thirdly - Do you have an incubator suitable for parrot eggs, with full temp, humidity control and auto rotation, and then a brooder to keep the chicks warm once hatched. These are not cheap.

In short, it might be best if you practiced hand rearing something a little more prolific first, and then only from 2 wks old, which gives them the boost they need direct from mum, as often hand reared birds can be stunted in growth and diminutive is size - I have seen Scarlet Macaws only 2/3rds their proper size because of hand rearing incorrectly. Being 2 wks of age also makes the task a little more bearable for yourself. And yes, you may very well have to buy a breeding pair and get them to lay the eggs first.

However, there are a few large breeders in the UK, who sell Macaws and Cockatoos, and perhaps they may be willing to talk to you about it.

Please also be aware of scam adverts - as I have said, I do not expect you to find a breeder who will sell you their eggs from such valuable birds, so any that seem too good an offer, on the internet etc, will undoubtedly be scams.

One final point, once an egg has hatched and become a viable chick, it is classed as a live animal. The law states that is is illegal to sell an unweaned animal, so please don't be tempted to try and buy an unweaned chick for you to finish off.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

mrchips

Post by mrchips » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks for those comments, really useful bits in there.

I do have an incubator and brooder and I am aware of the feeding schedule etc, my partner and I would be sharing the feeding so for a few weeks it would be hell for us both! :) Also, I have hand reared a number of wild birds successfully in the past but never a parrot I have to admit.

The availability of hatching eggs was really my first point of query because there is not much point in planning to do it that way if the eggs are not available and anyway, I would much rather have a parent hatched & reared and fully weaned bird for the birds own good but it was worth asking the questions.

conure parrot
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Post by conure parrot » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:14 pm

Hatching in incubator is better option near to me. Its results are almost 98% and most probably some good generation came into being via this process. I think it may look strange to someone but its get acceptance almost everywhere in the world.
http://cuteparrots.com