New to this site and hopefully new breeder

Moderator: teiltown

Mazs-Macaws15

New to this site and hopefully new breeder

Post by Mazs-Macaws15 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi all,

As the subject states i am new and looking for any information and any tips on the success of breeding Blue and Gold Macaws. For quite a few years i have read up on macaws and feel now is the time to make my dreams reality. I love all animals but Macaws i think are amazing creatures. I have a huge garage which i am about to turn completely in to an aviary, on the rear is a window and from that will be an outdoor aviary (just so they have the freedom of outdoors too). I am a complete novice at this so any info or tips would be greatly appriciated. I am happy to recieve any expert advice and hope that i can care for these birds in the best way possible. As most of you will well know at the moment my priority is getting the aviary perfect for the birds to live in so could be quite a while before birds are added. I just want to make sure ive done the best i can for them.

Thankyou for taking the time in reading this post..

Maz x

jgrey

Re: New to this site and hopefully new breeder

Post by jgrey » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:21 pm

hi maz

i'm not a breeder myself but i do know macaws need lots of space and can be quite noisy. do you have neighbours close by who wont mind the noise of parrots? would you let the parents rear their babies or would you hand rear them yourself,as this can be a tricky thing to do if you're not experienced or confident enough to do this. if i'm right a pair might take years before they actually decided to breed,so dont lose faith it they dont produce eggs straight away : )

Mazs-Macaws15

Post by Mazs-Macaws15 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:57 pm

Hi hun and thankyou for your reply.

I have plenty of space as my garden is 360ft long. They will have the whole of my garage and an outdoor aviary on the back of it :) I want them to be very happy..
I do have neighbours but i dont think they will complain.. Not too sure i think maybe i will ask.. I am considering breeding them as a hobby and would love to hand rear as i would like one of mine in the house also.. Not sure yet as the garage is going to take months so i think i have plenty of time to consider my options.. And like you said they could take years to breed :( but i can be very patient and will do my best for them..

Thankyou for taking your time to reply :)

Maz

jgrey

Post by jgrey » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:18 pm

wow that's alot of garden,any bird would love an aviary in there : )

if you take your time learning to hand rear,then i'm sure it would a very rewarding experience for you both.macaws are beautiful birds,their beaks scare me a bit though lol. i have a cag,which is much smaller in comparison. i wish you luck with your new hobby

jules & jasper

Mazs-Macaws15

Post by Mazs-Macaws15 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Thankyou :)
I have a long way to go yet :( Just can't wait to get it all done and then get my birds :D

brugge
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Post by brugge » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi and welcome, l live 1klm from my nearest neighbour and you can hear my macaws screaching from there, l live in the country so there are no other noises to hide the birds screetching, but unless you have very understanding neighbours you could have a big problem. They are normally up at daylight 4.30 - 5.00 in summer and can make quite a noise, normally through the day you dont know they are there, then again in the evening they tend to be playfull and start screeching again. They are beautifull birds to own and breed but can create problems.
all the best,
brugge