Starting Breeding Full Time

Moderator: teiltown

SurreyParrots

Starting Breeding Full Time

Post by SurreyParrots » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:49 am

Hello, i currently own two lovely African Grey parrots (Lago and Jasmine, kids loved Disney but they have now flown the nest) the last 3 years they have started to bred with great success. I also have a friend who wants to sell their African Grey's who has been breeding as a hobby for the past few years. I have a medium sized aviary at the end of my garden which can house all four parrots but i need to know who i am required to tell that i am breeding, as i would like to start my own business and start getting the paperwork done before i look into buying any more parrots, and upgrading my aviary (or even getting a new one). I don't want some one knocking on my door and taking them away.
Do i need to register with DEFRA, local concil or anyone like that as the information on the internet is very vague and i am not the most computer iterate person out there (my son popped round to help me register on this site).

Thank You

teiltown
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: Starting Breeding Full Time

Post by teiltown » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi There,

Strickly speaking, the Parrot Society UK is for hobbyist breeders.
If you intend to set up breeding as a business venture, you will need to register a company name for VAT and TAX purposes. You may also have issues using your home as a business address...
If you intend to sell the animals as pets, rather than breeding stock, you will require a pet animals license which you will need to approach your council about as they grant these. Defra doesn't come into play unless you start having large quantities of animals which will then require compulsory vacinations and vets certs etc...eg, for chickens it's 200 birds.

My advice would be, don't take the pleasure out it, stay a hobbyist.

If you did set up as a business, you wouldn't be allowed to sell your birds at our shows, as you would be considered a trader and we do not allow this, so potentially you loose some of your market.

Kevin Pickup
PSUK Council Member.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

brugge
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Post by brugge » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi, if you intened to breed more than l pair of grays you will need a seperate aviary for each pair, ( same with any parrot spieces ) unless you are going to remove the eggs to incubate them, you will only get 2 clutches a year, normally 2 - 4 eggs so if on avarage if they produced 3 chicks per clutch, l dont think you would need to go down the line of registering a buissiness, also some years you might not even get a fertile egg!

brugge

lourencohen

Post by lourencohen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:40 am

When we have done the parrot breeding business we did register with the company name for VAT and TAX purposes. It is better you find a different place than your home for this business as this will keep you away from all the other legal issues. sugar crm