Breeding Ducorps

Moderator: teiltown

Oscar

Re: Breeding Ducorps

Post by Oscar » Fri May 18, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi Diana
grateful for the reply.....no damage whatsoever to the chick
The only thing I can think of now is that both birds usually nest together in the box
I am afraid that it might have been too tight a squeeze and they may have squashed the chick
is that possible or am I way off the mark
No sign of the other egg pipping so maybe that one isn't fertile
How many days in between eggs hatching is normal .
Sorry for all the questions

diana

Post by diana » Sat May 19, 2012 1:50 pm

Yes being squash is a possibility. We have had chicks killed by their parents and also a chicken chick squashed by its mum.

Not sure about cockatoos as we only bred Senegals/Moustached Parakeets/Lovebirds, but it was about 2-3 days between each one hatching, depending on how long the gap was between them being laid.

If the hen is sitting on it I would suggest then just leave it and hope for the best.

Perhaps you need a larger nestbox if there's not much space??

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Sun May 20, 2012 9:52 am

Hi DIane....thanks again
Appreciate your point about the nest box size and there were two available in the flight
Sods law they picked the slightly smaller one and set about "remodelling" it before moving in
Stupidly I assumed they had picked the right one for size as I know they can be notoriously picky
Lesson learnt there I think
I will leave the other egg another day or so and if I need to remove it I will then put a bigger box
up and hope they go down again
Cheers and will post again to update
Thanks again for all your advice

teiltown
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Post by teiltown » Thu May 31, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi Oscar.

Leave the nest box well alone. They have made their choice and I would let them go with it.
If your box is a minimum of 10 x 10 internal, they will be fine.

I suspect it's more likely they got the chick, and just simply didn't know what to do next. That is, if the pair are bigginers at this, they they are still learning. If you have kids remember when you got your first one home, and thought, right what now, and got straight on the phone to someone who already had kids.....well thats what we did anyway.

I don't know the history of your pair, but look at the positives (I know this is always hard when you have just lost a chick - been there done that), but you have moved on from infertile eggs, to fertile ones, and one that actually hatched (possibly 2, leave other egg well alone for at least 3 days past your maximum incubation time, then candle, make decision and remove if necessary). Your pair are still, from the information provided learning at getting it right, so leave them be and hopefully next time they will get ALL of it right and chicks will survive.

You have to be very patient with parrots, they live for a long time so theres no rush for anything to happen.

Please do keep us all informed though of whats happening. And perhaps think about writing an article for the monthly magazine.
Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:41 pm

Thanks for the advice Kev ....and I think you are spot on with your observation reference
them not " knowing what to do"
They are showing signs of going down again ....treading etc so fingers crossed
Have enough on at the moment with some Celestials... Kakarikis .....and Quakers all with young !!!!
Must be doing something right ( more good luck than good management but will take the results !! LOL )
Article for the magazine ? could be tempted but how would I go about that as a total beginner ?
Not sure anyone out there would want to read about my bumbling through

Cheers and look forward to some more great advice ?

teiltown

Post by teiltown » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi Oscar,

Glad to hear your willing to be patient.

Writting an article, is probably easier than you think. Good colour photos always help, and simply present it as it all happened.
So where did you start, when did you get the birds, bird history, decisions on how to house them.
What did you feed them, Various diet changes or dislikes. How the birds responded to things you did, then obviously the story of the breeding. the choices of nest they had (always include sizes - people are always interested in nest boxes, eventually the PSUK will produce a booklet on nest boxes), which one they choose, egg laying, fertility to hatching.

Hopefully by the end of the article, you will have got to chick stage and be a very happy person.
Go on, give it a go.

Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi Everybody
General tidy up in aviary today when I noticed the Hen Ducorps "missing"
Lo and Behold she is in the nest box sitting on one egg
Must have laid either yesterday or during the night ......so
question is
What are the chances of successfully hatching at this time of year?
Aviary is well wrapped and insulated but no additional heating
As usual all advice gratefully received
Cheers

Oscar

teiltown

Post by teiltown » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi Oscar,

If she has chosen to lay, then leave her be.
If as you say, the aviary and nest box are well sheltered, she will be able to keep the egg warm enough, your job is to keep the food coming for her to generate the heat.

By the time February comes the weather will almost guaranteed to have turned back to the perpetual drizzle and 10 degrees, so all will be fine.

I hope - All the best.
Kev.

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Thanks Kev
She is on a mission because there are now two eggs ...which was her pattern last year
I guess I was surprised by timing as I was expecting more towards April for first lay
Hatch date around week after Newark Feb show so
here's hoping and will keep updated
Cheers

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Well guys Went into aviary today to feed them as normal
The male Ducorps was agitated and making a sound I hadn't heard before which intrigued me
Female was in the box as normal so I left them alone
Feeding them tonight and both were out of box so took a quick peek
Lo and behold two newly hatched chicks ......!!!!!
Question is
There is no heating in the aviary and a few cold nights forecast
Should I take a chance or put a low heat source in for them
As always all advice gratefully received

Oscar

martink

Post by martink » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:48 pm

I have had galahs lay and rear chicks many times this early in the year, nest inspection is another reason some birds fail to rear. If they are ready they will be fine.

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:09 am

Hi Martin
Thanks for the reply and that is reassuring to know
Only noticed the male out in the aviary
haven't seen the female for a week
Anyone know if that is a good sign or not....
Cheers

martink

Post by martink » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:03 pm

Yes its a good sign she is obviously sitting tight as she needs to be.

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:43 pm

Cheers Martin
Good to know and the answer I was hoping for
They were both out of box at the weekend so I managed to have a quick look in
Two chicks one looking considerably more advanced than the other which was a little worrying
Would be willing to bring in and hand rear if necessary but obviously only as a very last resort
Any advice on how long to wait ?
Obviously lesson is to fit some camera in the future methinks....

martink

Post by martink » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:46 pm

If the smaller chick is a lot smaller i would keep an eye on it, normally they catch up but it may be safer to hand rear one of the chicks being its there first time, they will definataly get more experienced the more they rear i have seen this with birds i have kept.