Breeding Ducorps

Moderator: teiltown

Oscar

Re: Breeding Ducorps

Post by Oscar » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Thanks again Martin all looks OK for the time being and although I have not seen the chicks both parents are swapping duties and everything seems fine
I can occasionally hear some noises from the box and it sounds like two "voices" when the parents swap....
the chicks seem to object to being left alone no matter how short the time is..
Will keep updating the forum if people are not getting bored
Cheers

teiltown
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Post by teiltown » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi Oscar,

I'm thrilled for you.
It is one of the most beautyful times of year when we hear the young in the box - not quite their myself this year, although my little boys Javas have just started laying - fingers crossed for him, as these are his first try.

Can I ask you again to consider writing an article for the magazine, the membership loves to hear about peoples success, which often encompasses trying times on the way.

We look forward to seeing some pictures of the fledglings.
Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:59 am

Hi to those that are following this saga.....massive developments this week but not good
Last Sunday opened box to attempt to close ring the chicks and unfortunately found one slumped at the side of the nest away from where they would be nursed
To all intents and purposes looked dead but moved very slightly when I picked him / her up
body temp ice cold breathing appeared laboured

Long story short after raising the temperatures slowly and the administration of some pedilyte to rehydrate
after about 3 hours i managed to get a minute amount of formula into him/ her the chick began to perk up eventually able to take a bit more food
the chick is now being hand fed in the house and eats like a horse sucess !!!
...... I have left the other with parents and it looks fine
Advice needed if that was the right thing to do.????

OK ...next disaster the chick indoors couldn't stand properly and appeared to me to have a splayed leg.... but what do I know
Trip to my vets who is experienced with birds and parrots and that's why I travel to him in Liverpool
He took one look and wasn't entirely happy with what he saw due to some limb rotation he referred me to Avian vet services in Knutsford
Richard Jones the attending vet at this establishment is fantastic !!!!!!

Chick is now hobbled with elastic bands and according to Mr Jones with a good to excellent chance of having the condition rectified
I would use the phrase coming on in leaps and bounds but probably not appropriate with bands still in place..?
Parrots ....who would have them ?
Readers of this site I guess ??...LOL
Last edited by Oscar on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

martink

Post by martink » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:21 am

Yes leave the chick in the nest or the parents wont learn to take care of there own chicks, just keep an eye on it.

diana

Post by diana » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:09 pm

I have found reading all this very interesting.
Years ago when we bred Senegals we had a couple with splayed legs and they had to be 'hobbled' as well, but our vet used thin bandage tape. As they were tiny they each had a small margarine tub each to prop themselves up in with kitchen roll!
it worked and it didn't take long either.
Good luck.

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:42 pm

Thanks for the good wishes Diana
Much appreciated and I am finding the advice on this site and by members pm's absolutely indispensable at the moment
He / She may have a wonky leg at the moment .....but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the digestive tract as feed is devoured ravenously every time
Managed to peek at the one left with parents and they seem absolutely fine as well
Here's hoping for two healthy additions to the captive bred Ducorps numbers
cheers
Oscar