pulse srout mix

Moderator: teiltown

007bakar

pulse srout mix

Post by 007bakar » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:15 pm

i just have question. Is bucktons breeding mix okay for african grey breeding food. its especially designed pigeon and it also had wheat seeds in. I was just wondering if they are okay or not

teiltown
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: pulse srout mix

Post by teiltown » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi,

I'm not exactly sure what is in Bucktons breeders mix, but if there is a large selection of Pulses and wheat, which can all be sprouted, you can't be going to far wrong.

I prefer to buy my own pulses (just from the supermarket) and mix as many varieties as I can get my hands on (3 parts), then mix this with high protien wheat (6 parts) then mix in 2 parts soya beans. Soak and sprout the lot, then put through a grinder. You can either leave it like that or also put in 7 parts par boiled sweet potato and 2 parts boiled peanuts. It all goes through the grinder and serve, with perhaps a sprinkle of supplement of your choice over the top (I make a big bucket full and freeze)

This way they eat everything and can't pick out their favourite.

Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:23 pm

Maple Peas, Maize, Wheat, Blue Peas, White Peas, Red Dari, White Dari, Tic Beans, Safflower Seed and Tares. These are the ingredients lately ive been having some problems in terms birds on lay eggs at all thats why i was wondering and the fact I was thinking of changing the nest boxes because I have no idea how old these nest boxes are.

http://www.bucktons.co.uk/pigeon-breeding-mixes.php

teiltown

Post by teiltown » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi,

What precisely is wrong with boxes other than age?
Greys are not very good at couping with change, so if the boxes have been succesful before, and they are structurally sound, then leave alone.

If the birds are not actually laying, then it is more likely a diet thing rather than box issue - if you were getting DIS, then suspect moisture etc issue with box.

How old are birds and in what do they live. Have you changed anything of late etc...

Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi there

Well to be honest nothing is wrong with them they have laid in the nestboxes but the diet is only thing changed in terms of before I brought my pulses from the breeder now I actually got the ones from bucktons breeding mix. The age of the birds are almost 11+ now in terms of what i did before and now is only to do with the diet, before I also used to put mash or boiled potato as well to give them more carbohydrates and the only difference from that time and now was like april june july august September and November so it was like summer time and they are located outside and there is abit of dampness in the shed not in the nestbox. Would that have an affect and also I have an heater there just incase. If you think the diet is not good please do advice large 20kg bag which i can purchase. Previously I have been paying like £20 per bag

teiltown

Post by teiltown » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi Again.

Dampness in the shed shouldn't stop them laying. Perhaps it's just not there time of year.
What schedule of lighting have you got them on?
If they have laid in the summer before, then I would sit tight and wait till their natural breeding time occurs.
Have you stil got them in the shed, in those breeding cages?
Do you use any form of supplement on the fruit?

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:50 pm

yeah twice and just before beginning of winter and i have two Exo Terra Repti Glo 2.0 Compact Bulb 26w in there first spectrum UV bulbs in there and yes cages are the same

Finally birdcare co pro boost supermax for them

brugge

Post by brugge » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:49 pm

Going back to your original posts, unless you have built a new avairy and re housed them is that not the problem you have with them laying fertile eggs ? l have birds on eggs, birds with young and for the last 4 weeks we have had temperatures down to minus 21°, also with no heat whatsoever in the birdroom. Out of all the eggs they have laid have you ever had a fertile egg ? sometimes when you buy " proven pairs" they turn out to be not what you think you bought!
brugge

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:45 pm

well I dont really I took the word from the breeder and he told me they are 100% proven he has over 25 pairs as well and he said you can pick the pair which you desire so i picked these..... where as i havent had a fertalised egg but they have laid eggs but they were empty. From what I have been told is that if the pairs are laying blank eggs or empty eggs sometimes it is the case of the pairs being to old and they have gone but the things suddenly they have like stopped laying. So I dont no what am i suppose to do

brugge

Post by brugge » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi, its allways hard when you are buying birds that were probably imported wild birds, to know how old they are, normally you can have them sexed by a vet who will also be able to tell you if they are sexually mature/active. Its possible that when you bought them from from the breeder, that they either did'nt breed for him or he bred from them constantly that they are now passed it. ( a bit like battery hens that lay eggs for a year and then chopped when they start laying less ) You say the breeder had 25 pairs of grays, what was he doing with them all, factory farming ? it might be best to remove the nest boxes and just let them enjoy life without having to keep laying eggs, after a years rest who knows the time might be right for them to try again.
brugge

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:59 pm

well thats what have i thought at first as well that pairs might have gone and the fact the are not using the nest box any way they are just outside and playing with woods pieces.

grahamstatham

Post by grahamstatham » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi Kevin
When you say soak and sprout the mix ,how can you sprout a whole bucket of seed ?