BREEDING GREYS Help

Moderator: teiltown

teiltown
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: BREEDING GREYS Help

Post by teiltown » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi Agian.

I am pleased for you, I know what it's like watching your birds and waiting for them to breed - I'm still waiting for eggs though.

I am glad to see you are commited to welfare of these wonderful creatures and are trying to improve the lifestyle in which they live.
Again I must stress the fact that most consider the size of your cages far too small - what happens when she raises 3 chicks and they fledge - where are they going to fit. Most users of these types of cages do so for profit, and remove all eggs for hand rearing, which promotes the laying of more eggs....

If you are going to develop your garden into a flight, then plan it all well first. everything down to the last nut and bolt. It really helps if you know what the end product is going to be. Don't forget, the 2 pairs can't mix - they will fight in such close quarters, so either 1 flight and alternate use of whcih will get tricky when the young are fledging, or 2 flights, double wired to stop toe and beak damage.

The diet changes seem ok, feed chopped oranges adlib, they will love them, rather than using juice. In general, the more varirty the better, and especially now he will be feeding her in the box, so plenty of fresh soft food. Are you using a calsium supplement, most breeders of greys prefer use one, simply sprinkle on soft food.

As always, best of luck and keep us informed.
Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:55 pm

Well I have been using alot of calcium products from bird care company "Calcivet ON-FOOD Powder"

http://www.birdcareco.com/English/Produ ... #bcalcivet

I havent seen the female out since couple of days even when i use to put the food in and i got concerned incase she passed away so i checked she started scream and saw three eggs and quickly closed it as i didn't want to disturb her.......however the male is very picky because he is tamed and picks the food which suits him and leaves the rest. The male however is always out only goes for not more then 15sec but during the feeding time he is in the nest box most of the time im guessing he is feeding her. There are two possible reasons for them laying egg which is the change of diet or the fact their nest box is away from the door.... just one question if they start laying once in the new surrounding will lay again?............mean while the top hasnt done anything..........just want to ask any guess when she might have laid the eggs? on my last post i saw three eggs for the first time.....im thinking round about 24th she laid all the eggs. The last time this pair laid eggs was in October and took the chicks out in December exactly four months they have laid eggs again. Was very surprised :)

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:14 pm

today i checked two eggs one of them was empty meaning yoke was moving however the second egg wasnt as the yoke didnt move what so ever. So i spoke to the breeder which I brought the pair and said the empty one you can remove it however keep the other one and wait for a week or so if they hatch then its okay but if they dont then it means that some times babies die while they are being fertilised. Im hoping there are two healty chicks but the chances are limited in my opinion.

could it be the fact they havent mated ? i though greys would also mate inside nestbox as well

teiltown

Post by teiltown » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi.

Most birds will mate in the box, and agian, in private, some pairs are simply not keen on performing when theres an audience.
I take it you have candled the eggs? Take care when doing this, as you can easily over heat such small eggs. The best thing is simply to let nature be, observe when they were layed, and note that in 26-29 days, you should have chicks, although I check the nests myself, I never take the eggs out of the box, it's just far too mush to risk, image if you dropped one - theres no return from that one, fertile or not.

You will be able to tell with the colour if they are fertile, a fertile egg will go duller and a bit like tabacco stained white, it helps if you have a fertile one and an infertile one to compare, but after a few years, you get used to it, Cockatiels are the way I learned that one.

Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:52 am

yeah but i didnt light the candle because its an inappropriate way. I used a torch light in a dark room to look at the egg as it seemed more convenient after couple of more days ill take them out cause i still havent heard any baby noise. Hopefully next time around will have some chicks as they are showing good signs :)

teiltown

Post by teiltown » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:03 pm

Candling is the generic term used for shining a light through an egg.
Yes a candle was probably used in the early parts of last century, but still, with a light source, alot of the light (all that is blocked, gets absorbed and turns to heat - most commercial candling devices are designed for chicken eggs, which are 4 - 5 times the volume of a large parrot egg.
Hence too powerfull.
Best advice is to leave well alone, after 35 days, remove and hopefully they will lay again.

Kev.

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:17 pm

its been more then 35 days almost 42 days now so today or tomorrow ill remove them.

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:43 am

as predicted the eggs were empty took them out yesterday night. I have noticed one thing when i bought this pair the female and the male used to be out 24/7 since they have laid eggs and the up till now the female stays inside the nest box even though the nest is empty. I hope she is ready to lay again this time hopefully fertilized

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:58 am

As stated earlier I have two pairs and the second pair which was earlier bought in 2010 may has laid an egg yesterday i checked and she had one egg. I am hoping these eggs wont be clear
Last edited by 007bakar on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Hello
We are all very interested in your progress in breeding Grey's.
Maybe you can post some new photo's of the improvements that you have made to your birds living quaters?
Dragonfly

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:41 pm

i dont have a nest box camera installed but I am looking to make one myself and install it......... for now I can only see the cages during night and daylight. The only reason I am able to figure out they have laid eggs is because the male during the night is out all the time as he is on guard where as female never comes out only when she needs to poop or eat for about 3-15 mins

all i can do post some pictures and videos of what they are actually doing
Attachments
(Night 23.22 ) male guarding.jpg
(Night 23.22 ) male guarding.jpg (58.05 KiB) Viewed 5601 times

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:59 am

11 days have gone where as I would like to take a peak on the 20th day however couple a days ago i checked the nestbox and there was only one egg or maybe i am mistake that other eggs abit further away and i couldnt see them nevertheless i only saw one egg. Is it natural for greys to just lay one egg?

martink

Post by martink » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Yes it is possible for greys to lay 1 egg, normally the result of prolonged cage breeding. I have 1 pr of greys that are kept in a 20ft flight and ive been trying to parent rear the young but alas today the only chick they had died at 5wks of age, last time they only got to 3 wks. This i believe is the result of years of having there babies taken for hand rearing.

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:02 am

ah i c well lets just hope it is a fertilized egg previously all three were empty

Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:03 pm

Hi
Any news? Did those 3 eggs hatch?
Dragonfly