BREEDING GREYS Help

Moderator: teiltown

007bakar

BREEDING GREYS Help

Post by 007bakar » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:03 pm

HI there everyone

I have currently two pairs i have had them for over a year now and i still havent had any eggs from them before you ask i did get this from a special breeder in west yorkshire Mr Mayat. Anyways in the morning i feed them fresh fruit and abit of veg and in the after noon sprouted seeds. Both pairs are proven and they are located in a shed outside the shed we just have an access to the flat but barely go down there just for the feeds and every now and then finish work early and stay in but dont disturb them. Do have a camera installed and alot of people have given me advise to install some toys in there as due to them so bored. I do see them bored but if i do put a toy in it takes atleast two to three days for them to get used to at the moment i only have 1 toy in there for each pair which is wood pieces on a rope hanging from the top of cage. i do see the pair feeding each other however still no sign of breeding. I hope this provides information for everyone out there who can help me encourage them to breed.

anyone who whichs to contact me from pp email let me know will also contact through there or even for that matter on the phone i wouldnt mind.

teiltown
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: BREEDING GREYS Help

Post by teiltown » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi there,

Ok, greys, as I expect you know, are very sensitive birds, and just because they have bred for another person in a different place, doesn't mean they will breed for you, and more importantly in their current surroundings.

You are right in that greys do need privacy (generally), but what you havn't said is how big a fligt these birds are in, and whether they have access to an outside flight. Do they have natural light in the shed etc...

What style of nest boxes are you using, have they got a choice of boxes to choose from, are they even looking in them?

Even still, a year isn't a long time, and we MUST be patient where birds are concerned and let them decide when things will happen.
It sounds like you have a good diet for them. Do you have access to Willow or Eucalyptus, put some branches with leaves on in their flights and let them get on with chewing those - greys always take time to adjust to new situations, which includes toys etc...

Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:28 pm

Thanks for the reply, to answer you question yes there is a small window on top and no there isnt a direct sunshine light but have a uv tublight installed and is on from 7 - 7 because the shed in a place there isnt a way for direct sunlight. When you say willow i just have couple of bats thats all but i have installed some pieces of wood on a rope but there is only one toy in there for each pair would you like to me increase the toys?.....and i also havent mentioned about the perch recently the perches were small about inch or maybe smaller however just couple of days back i installed 2.5 inch perch so they can easily sit on, who know it might be to do with the perch. However coming back to the window yes there is a small panel which opens and has the access to the fresh air. The window isnt that big its the size of a door on the top however there is a window on the door however i have placed a cloth on in so they dont get to see who is going in or out put im thinking of taking the cloth of because then it will give them idea when is dark taking place or sun is rising however. The cages are small double breeding cages the person i bought it of has bread electus pair init which he says are alot bigger then african greys. I am gonna look for some willow but dont no where from. Can they be found in a park ? there is a very big park around my area infact to parks would i be able to find some in the park.

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:41 am

i just wanted to add the location of the uv light it is placed right besides the cage however it is not placed on the ceiling.....is that an issue ? i was thinking of placing a normal lamp in there as well on the other side where it is abit dark and like you suggested to add some toys so im going to add more bits of wood in there hanging besides the cage so they can chew on it

teiltown

Post by teiltown » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi Again,

It sounds like there isn't enough light in your shed for a start. The birds will do better if they have a natural source of light along with the natural rising and setting of the sun. Artificial light is ok, a simple flourescent tube will normally do (assuming they have access to other natural light sources - if not, a full spectrum bulb/tube, not UV), and as long as the room is well lit from above, ambient light is fine rather than putting the tubes in front of and probably too close to the cage.

If your birds are in a double breeder unit, which, is considered by most, to be a FAR TOO SMALL a cage in which to keep Greys, they will not have access to an outside flight, or even have enough room to actually fly properly. This will effect the fitness of the birds, and subsequently the ability to breed. I'm not saying they won't breed, but in the wild, only birds in top shape will breed, as there bodies simply can't cope with the stresses involved in producing eggs and raising young.

If you have room, then I would seriously consider adding external flights to your shed, you can make these hanging flights, if garden space is limited etc. but try and make them 6ft long, with a perch approx 5-6 inch from the pop hole, so as they can get as much exercise as possible, and have access to rain - birds need to shower (are you spraying your birds, or providing a bath for them?). The flights should be about 3 to 4 ft wide.
You may also need to adapt the breeder cage to accomodate the external flights, or simply build a new indoor flight for them. Both pairs will still need to be housed seperatley, but again, if space limited, they could share the outside flight, just make the pop holes closable, and let them have a day each in turn - greys will normally retreat from the flight when you approach so no problems geting them back into their shelter.

I appreciate some of things I have just said may be hard hitting, but we must have the birds best interests at heart, and by doing so, they will be happier, healthier and much more likely to breed.

I'm glad you changed the perches - as a rule, the nails should close on the perch just below the centre line, small perches are not very good for the feet, and different sizes of perches must be offered, again this promotes exercise of the foot. Good sturdy, comfortable perches are also required for mating - if they can't mate succesfully, then they will never lay eggs.

You will find plenty of branches in the park, most trees are ok, but try not to use Cherry, some believe this to be poisonous. Willow and Eucalyptus are just the best of the rest, but if your getting them from a park, it may wise to seek permission, and make sure they are clean, as your birds are not used to the outside world, simply dry out and poor boiling water over them and they should be fine.

You havn't answered what nest boxes you are using, these if not to the greys liking, are a massive factor in succesful breeding.
We hope to here from you again soon,
Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:02 pm

length would be 2ft 27inch and with would be 1ft 17 inch this one smaller in width maybe 14 inch as you can see what is it like in the shet it is not well lit i think so im gonna make it well lit anyways feel free to add more suggestions. you can see where my uv spectrum light is located
Attachments
snapshot_00606E6092B7_20110328165315.jpg
snapshot_00606E6092B7_20110328165315.jpg (60.6 KiB) Viewed 15714 times
snapshot_00606E6092B7_20110328165221.jpg
snapshot_00606E6092B7_20110328165221.jpg (52.36 KiB) Viewed 15714 times
snapshot_00606E6092B7_20110328165044.jpg
snapshot_00606E6092B7_20110328165044.jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 15714 times

teiltown

Post by teiltown » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:40 pm

Ok,

Yes you are quite right, the shed appears to be far too dark. Get at least a 5ft full spectrum flourescent (these are readily available on the net), as there isn't any natural light available.

For the moment, I think you could improve the cages by moving the perch. You would be better by having 2 perches in there, the opposite way to the one you have in now, and have it slightly lower, say 3 or 4 rungs up from the bottom. This will at least give the birds a chance to flap there wings in jumping from one perch to the next. Again, use a natural branch as the perch, ranging from 1 inch to 2 inch Dia. The gnarlier the better.
Have you tried adding some old rope in the cage as well, all my flights have a few pieces of hemp rope in, and the birds love to fiddle with the fraying ends.

As far as toys go, some people have the opinion that if there is nothing else to do, then mating and breeding is the only thing they can do. However, I believe that a stimulated mind will be in healthier state of mind and be more willing to breed. this is backed up by many breeders.
You could even try putting the radio on when the lights are on, or playing some tropical sounds to them. greys are very inteligent birds and need the stimulation, and as they havn't got anything to look at in the outside world, you are going to have to provide that yourself.

Nest box size seems reasonable, if not a little too large in the cross section, perhaps more like 12 inch internal dimensions as opposed to 14 or 17.

Kev.

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:59 pm

hi kevin

Just a little update ive added some toys in there however i dont feel their enough could i ask is it okay if i can add some normal branches and leave em in the cage because in the wild they will like be on branches and stuff and staying on one perch would mean no exercise but with branches in there they would be able to exercise and keep their claws strong? any good ? ive added cuttlefish bone in there as well for their beaks and which keep them entertained and will keep them with nutritious diet

brugge

Post by brugge » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:00 am

Hi, looking at your pictures your cages look to be in a very dark position, is there any way of fitting an extra window or cutting an hole in the wall and fitting a mesh panel over it. Also looking at the pictures the cages are not large enough for a pair of grays, most people would have a cage larger than that just to keep one bird in. How big are the cages as the nest box looks nearly as big as the cage? If you carnt get hold of any natural branches ( living in a city etc ) you could buy some pieces of wood inch and a half square - two inch square from a diy shop and let them chew them down to size, only draw back is you would have to change them regulary as they will chew them to bits, but at least it would give them somthing to do,
Brugge

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:18 pm

what i have realised the environment which they came from they bred over there and the breeder had alot of facilities in terms of keeping the area healthy and clean so im going to add a fresh air purifier in there as which area they came from also had an air purifier filter and alot of lighting so im going to insert air purifier add an extra light in there. This will keep the environment clean and provide them with fresh air and avoid them to catch and disease. You can see which one i am going to install in the room.

http://www.boots.com/en/Heaven-Fresh-Ai ... 00_122396/

or

http://www.boots.com/en/Ionic-Air-Purif ... 0-_122404/

i was thinking HF100

teiltown

Post by teiltown » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:49 am

Ok,

Simply increasing the cleanliness of the surrounding air will not convince your greys to breed.
You NEED and MUST increase the quality of their life and environment in many ways, as previously mentioned, the cages in which they are kept are considered by most to be FAR too small for an adequate life style, having only one perch means they cannot even hop from one perch to the other, never mind fly. Natural unfiltered light is essential. And also fresh air, so increasing the ventilation in their shed would help, as opposed to getting an air purifier. You would be far better spending the money on increasing the size of their accomodation, and seriously consider allowing them access to an outside flight, in which they can passify themselves in watching other live around them, and accessing both light and water (rain).

Put yourself in their situaltion. Would you be happy living in a shed, with no windows or entertainment, with no option for exercise - bear in mind, unfit birds, leads to unhealthy birds, which will NEVER breed healthy stock, and unlikely to breed at all.

YES, you can add natural branches, (see reply march 29th). Dowls are a complete NO for birds, again, put yourself in their situation, only having the one place/surface of the same diametre to stand on. Gnarly branches which change shape, have lumps on them, bark to chew, sub-branches also on which to chew are the best kind. Your bird would normally in the wild, spend 60% of it's day foraging for food, you have to provide it with stimulation to fill that now empty time.
Cuttle fish will help them, but other than providing Calcium, which is extremely important in greys, will not offer any other minerals. You mentioned you feed plenty of fresh fruit and veg, and pulses/sprouted seed, so I expect they are getting enough in dietary requirements.

From what you have said so far, I have to ask you the reason why you have these birds? Is it generally to enjoy the birds, or simply to breed them and sell the young.
We are more than willing to help you in keeping these wonderful and intelligent Parrots, but you must meet us half way and try to improve their live style.

Happy birds are much more likely to feel comfortable enough to breed, and you will get far more enjoyment out of them as well.

Kevin.

martink

Post by martink » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:42 pm

That a disgusting way to keep those poor birds, its cases like this that give the anti bird keeping fraternity good reason to feel the way they do.

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:35 am

nope im sorry but i do not keep birds to make money i keep them because love keeping them so I can raise the young and keep them however I do no the place isnt very great once i have the youngs ill probably sell a young so i can just make an large aviary in my garden make it like a forest for them. I have been a parrot loving person since i was 3, i had 2 fishers and 3 budgies and i ended up with 100 fishers and 50-60 budgies. I have kept greys as pets before but this is my first time them as a pair.

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:58 pm

just wondering I have changed abit of their diet which includes::

sweet corn,green peas, grean beans, Broccolie, potato pealed, sprinkle of orange juice on top and apple some times. Just wondering if this diet is okay

however just researched and found out potato should be baked or boiled and mashed if not then it can give them indigestion.

007bakar

Post by 007bakar » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:30 pm

just a little update saw the nest box of the bottom pair and the hen is sitting tight on three eggs. nothing from the top pair