Shed lining & insulation, temperature ........?

Moderator: teiltown

peterpimlico

Shed lining & insulation, temperature ........?

Post by peterpimlico » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:12 pm

Evening all
I have recently bought a small shed to convert into an indoor flight, plus an area to house breeding cages. It was my intension to insulate the shed with styrene and then board over this with ply; but having read the Parrot Society Publication on the subject, where it recommends that one should NOT insulate a shed for fear of mice "setting up home in the warm insulated cavity." I wonder what others have done? Is it feasible to just line the shed with ply and no insulation, or is this also a no,no?
Also, can anyone please tell me what minimum temperature the shed should be kept at for Ringneck Parakeets.
I am grateful for any information and guidance regarding these questions.
Regards ........ Peter

Bouvier
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: Shed lining & insulation, temperature ........?

Post by Bouvier » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:25 am

Hi,
I would not insulate a shed for the reason you have said but also because they are surviving in the wild in the UK and are growing in numbers which suggests that they can and will survive without heating or lined sheds. I would not recommend breediing them in cages but have a flight as they are not really suitable as a cage breeder. I did keep ringnecks years ago in a standard aviary and shed (not lined or insulated) without problems. The main thing is the correct feeding etc. and don't forget if it gets too cold to replace the water which may be frozen.

Bouvier

peterpimlico

Post by peterpimlico » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:30 pm

Hello Bouvier
Many thanks for your response and advice. Being a novice and not having kept Ringnecks before I felt unsure. Your advice has put my mind at rest.
Regards ............ Peter

teiltown

Post by teiltown » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:36 pm

Hi Peter.

I have kept ringnecks for many years now, just for their beauty - I don't breed them but my hen usually lays and trys.....
I live in Lancashire and last winter we had several -15 degrees C nights and they do just fine. Make sure they have indoor roosting area and leave the box up all year round.

Ringnecks are really good eaters and will try almost anything, feed good amounts of fruit though and although they look scruffy during the moult, they come brilliant again around september time.

Watch out for the hens, they can be a little bosy towards the males. They go to nest quite early in the year, so make sure everything is ready now, so they have the best chance of breeding early next season - expect eggs end of march/april time.

Best of luck mate, and keep us all informed how your getting on.
Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

brugge

Post by brugge » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:17 pm

Hi, l have a brick built birdroom and with all the rain we have been having at the moment l am suffering badly with condensation, ( no not me personally, the birdroom ) it has no insulation in the roof space just t & g timber boarding to the ceiling, it has a concrete floor and the water streams down the walls, does anybody else have the same problems with no insulation or heating.
p.s. l leave the doors and windows open for ventilation only closing them if it rains directly towards them.

teiltown

Post by teiltown » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:26 am

Hi Brugge,

Are you sure it's condensation rather than the water coming through the walls.

I have one side of my avairy, which isn't fully rendered yet (another year gone by and still I havn't finished it), and I get moisture forming on that wall inside, but not the others.

Looking at the physics of things - if the walls are the same temperature as the ambient air (that is with no heating) then condensation will not form, it is only when you have a temperature difference and mist/humid air that condensation forms.

If you have had rain like we have had in Lancashire of late, then everything will be damp regardless - I'm sure the Newts are happy though.
kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

brugge

Post by brugge » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi Kev, l should of explained a little more, the water? is on the opposite wall to the ones with the doors and it has a lean to roof protecting it from getting wet, also l have formica faced kitchen units and worktops which are also soaked with condensation? but the glass in the windows on the inside are dry? and are single glazed, also before moving out to France l lived to the west of you in Lancashire and l know how wet it gets there, hence moving here but at the moment still getting the rain,
Trevor

billy123 _786

Post by billy123 _786 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:37 am

hi all , can any one please send some pictures of a greys shed aviary bird room just need some ideas as i want to sort one out before the summer 2014 lol thanks