Advice for new ringneck owner

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

sedwards

Advice for new ringneck owner

Post by sedwards » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:13 pm

Hi, I'm new to this and the new owner to a lovely pair of Indian Ringneck Parakeets, I'm hoping someone may be able to offer me some advice.

They are aviary birds who were housed at a college I worked at previous to me taking them on, they were rehomed due to being to aggressive towards students and other birds. They moved into a purpose built aviary in my garden 1 week ago today. They seem to be settling well, are eating well, will accept myself and my partner hand feeding and are generally doing fine considering we have only had them for one week.

The problem we are having is that they are quiet all day, relatively inactive too, but at 7.30pm on the dot they start flying about, chasing each other and screaming loudly, this goes on for about 2 hours almost continuously and then they settle down for the night. We have already had comments from neighbours and my partner is getting slightly impatient with them too. Is it just early days? Will this improve? Would it help if we made some blinds / covers to shut them in at night? We are being visited regularly by a neighbourhood cat which I also don't think is helping.

Would be grateful for any advice,
Thank you,
Sharon

brugge
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: Advice for new ringneck owner

Post by brugge » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:48 pm

Hi and welcome, ringnecks are prone to be noisy when they have been disturbed, yes they can sit there all day doing and saying nothing, but if you have a neighbour that disturbes them ( or the cat ) thats ringnecks for you. I have some pairs that i have had for three years and every morning i enter the birdroom they start screaming until l leave, also other pairs that dont make any noise, l would try to watch them at 7.30 ish to see if you can notice what sets them off. Good luck with them,
brugge

sedwards

Re: Advice for new ringneck owner

Post by sedwards » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:17 pm

Thank you for the reply. We are getting some improvement and I have found that giving them some food at around 7pm seems to keep them distracted for a while. Generally they seem calmer and the noise is less prolonged, we were not expecting complete silence so this is fine.

Thanks,
Sharon