Droppings

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

youngsimon

Droppings

Post by youngsimon » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:07 pm

I recused an African Grey that was poorly kept. Her lower mandible was overgrown and twisted both the upper and lower mandibles completely out of alignment (Since several visits to my avian vet they seem OK now, but she does have check-ups whenever they seems to be growing out of alignment). I also believe she was fed a very poor diet, I think mostly Sun Flower Seed, and probably some other bits that were not good for her.
She is now on a quality seed diet for African Grey’s, but at the moment she is reluctant to eat fruit and vegetables, but is slowly coming round.

My question is about her droppings. I am getting a mixture of normal droppings and little piles of seed that looks like she has not digested.

Because she is now eating normal seed and seems find in herself does the undigested small piles of seed suggest she cannot digest the seed yet, seed she was not normally fed or used to before I got her?

teiltown
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: Droppings

Post by teiltown » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:21 pm

Dear Simon,

I think this is a question you should be asking your vet, and take along a sample of the droppings.

I would also ask is it definite that she is passing these seeds rather than them finding their way into the droppings or is she doing her droppings in the seed bowl and then lifting them out?

Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

youngsimon

Post by youngsimon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi Kev,

Many thanks for responding. Because I recued her and I think her diet was very poor I think she is eating whatever Sunflower seeds she can find and any other she is used to, which will account for her normal droppings. It is only a few days later, when I force to try other seed, which is better for her, she appears to have seed in her droppings.

I am not too sure she is not able to digest the other seed yet, but can digest Sunflower Seed, I think I will ring my vet for a chat.

Regards

Simon

teiltown

Post by teiltown » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:23 am

Hi Simon,

Just had a thought.
Giventhat her beak was twisted she may not have been able to hull seed very effectively, and if she had only been fed sunflower or the larger seeds, she may not have learned to adapt or even realise anymore that smaller seed still needs hulling.

Have you tried tidy mix with her - as the majorit of seed in this is hulled. But obviously, keep feeding the fruit, veg and pulses etc.
May be still worth that phone call though.
Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

youngsimon

Post by youngsimon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi Kev,

I have ordered the seed you mentioned, which seem ideal for her. I have tried mixing chopped up fruit and veg and mixed it in her seed, plus her normal fruit and veg bowl. She seems to get a taste for it within her seed, but will still not use her fruit and veg bowl. I have tried her with pulses, she which she is refusing to try, will see how she foes over the next few weeks/month.

I have spoken to an Avian Veterinarian who is not too bothered at the moment, and thinks when you and I think is the problem. He has said to keep an eye on her and if I get too concerned I have to take her to see him.

Hopefully the Tidy Mix will work and all her droppings will be normal, if not I will take her to see the vet.

Many thanks for all your help and advice.

Simon

teiltown

Post by teiltown » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:54 am

Hi Simon,

I know quite a few people who use Tidy Mix for Greys, and are all quite satisfied. Theres little waste as well.
I feed it to my Pionus as there seed diet (only twice a week), and they eat most of it, although there are some extruded things, like thick spagetti, that they will not touch nor will they eat the hard peas, but on the whole, all that is left, is dust...

Keep trying with the fruit, veg and pulse, Ggreys are known for being fussy and talking a while to adjust to anything.
As long as she seems perky them all should be okay.
Kev.

youngsimon

Post by youngsimon » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:39 am

Hi Kev,

Update to the seed in the in my Grey’s droppings, or so I thought. My wife discovered when talking to her she regurgitated several small seeds of similar quantities.

After looking at the bottom of the cage again, there is not as much since changing her seed, but there are still small mounds of seed that could have been regurgitated and are not droppings.

Have you heard of that before?

Thanks

Simon

jgrey

Post by jgrey » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:08 pm

how's your grey now Simon, this not the breeding female is it, the one you mentioned you thought had too much calcium?

it is possible to regurgitate seeds that haven't passed through yet, i hope all is well :)