Parakeet flying about outside

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

Parakeet flying about outside

Post by corinne104 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:18 am

Hi, I'm looking for some advice, and have found this site.

About 3 weeks ago, a parakeet turned up! It just flew into a tree in a neighbour's front garden and started squawking! I was working outside, so I started talking to it, and it was squawking back!

It flies around the houses, then comes back. I've named it Noisey Boy! If I go outside and call, sometimes it turns up. Other times when I go outside, it appears and squawks. We chat to each other, and when it's had enough, it disappears.

I've got it some parrot treats. I put some in a plastic tub, so I can shake it. The parakeet is happy to help itself from the tub if I'm holding it, and I have managed to hand feed it.

It won't let me touch it though.

I have tried to find out if I should do anything about the parakeet, and so far have found that there are quite a few thousand living wild, mainly in the south, and that they are breaking the law by doing so! I've also found that they usually live in pairs or flocks. This one seems to be alone.

I have reported it to the Police, RSPCA and a Parrot Rescue, in case someone was looking for it, but it appears that no-one has lost it.

Will it be ok as it is, or should I do something? I'm worried about the winter, the local cats, local (nasty) kids, and local foxes ...

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Re: Parakeet flying about outside

Post by diana » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:41 am

Good for you taking care of this parkaeet.
It could well be one of the ones that have established themselves in the UK.
I believe they are now accepted as established (someone will put me right I'm sure)
Which part of the country are you in? or, it could have just escaped from someone's home or aviary. Have you mentioned it on local radio & in vets & pet shops etc? It sounds like it is becoming trusting of you. Have you tried walking slowly towards indoors while it is feeding on the tub. Walk slowly and gently talking to it. Don't try to touch it as that is making it fly off.
But there's not really any way of catching it that I can think of.
You could try putting a cage out with the door open and some food in, you never know you may be lucky.
Do keep us up to date.

Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: Parakeet flying about outside

Post by teiltown » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:34 am

Hi Corinne and Welcome to the PSUK forum.

The first thing we need to do is find out whether the bird has a ring on one or both of it's legs. This will tell us whether the bird is an escapee or potentially a wild one.
Second, we could do with knowing a little more about the bird, so we can try and work out what it is - photos help here, or a detailed description of it.

As Dianna said, your location will help as well, as we know where the ferral populations are, and givien that the bird is rather trusting, it may very well be an escapee.
In addition, Dianna also said if you have access to a cage, put a food bowl in it and on it, and leave well alone, when the bird has finished thetreats on the outside, don't refill, and he will soone go in and get the others -at this point you need to shut the cage door - this is only if we suspect the bird an escapee. If the bird is trully wild, I would say continue as is, and enjoy the beauty of it.

We look forward to hearing from you.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.