Ring Number

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

Ring Number

Post by youngsimon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:07 pm

I am looking at buying and African Grey, the information on its ring is: P01027

Does anyone know the scheme used on those rings, I cannot workout the date based on the information.

Re: Ring Number

Post by jgrey » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:04 pm

isn't there a data base of numbers somewhere? i cant remember where it was listed.

jasper has his breeders initials,the month and year he was hatched. so your number could read the initials,october 27th? i know alot very from breeder to breede,some rings state the order in which the chicks hatch i think?

Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Post by brugge » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi, to my knowledge there are two main ring manufactures in england and they both use the same system , it depends where abouts you start to read the number from but normally it starts with the bird no, normally the breeder will start at 1 upwards which could be 001 / 01 / 1 / if a parrot soc member, it can have psuk on next (sideways) then their initials 2 or 3 letters, then the year (sideways ) then the ringsize, a letter. A breeder can really have his rings made to his specification so they could really have anything on. Also if the bird has been imported it again could be a differant set of numbers / letters. In Belguim they start with the club initials, member no, initials, year, bird no. In France the same, also if it is a small sized ring some of the information will be omitted because it all wont fit on. Not very helpfull i'am affraid. Looking at your ring no P010 27 could possibly be po - initials, 10 - year, 27 -ring/bird no , or initial -p, 01- year, 027 - ring/bird no, the ring size for a gray should be V , so it dos'nt look like thats on it.

Post by daavidfischer » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:35 am

I do agree with what brugge said about the ring makers and want to add some more info about that. You can find agents who deal with such cases and only a small commission would be enough to satisfy them. Try search for someone like this and you can easily get the ring you need.

Positive Reinforcment Jars