looking to buy a baby African grey parrot

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

donna123

looking to buy a baby African grey parrot

Post by donna123 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi i am new to the site so i am hoping that i am doing this right!!

I am looking to buy a baby African grey parrot, i live in Devon (brixham) and i have spoken to a few breeder's.

One lady hand rear's all her baby parrots and takes them away from the mother when they are just over a week old, they are rung, they come with a certificate, one month of food and a after care sheet, plus months worth of insurance. The price of the baby parrot is £595.00

Another breeder who ive just spoken to tonight, does not take the baby away from the mother until its 3 weeks old, it is not rung. only comes with a birth certificate and she will sell her birds from 12 weeks to 16 weeks old. The price for this parrot is £650. she also sell's a package deal, bird and cage for £919.00.

Should all parrots be rung?? what is the ring for?? i am so confused... advise please.

thanks.

teiltown
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: looking to buy a baby African grey parrot

Post by teiltown » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Hello Donna and welcome to the PSUK.

Ok,

First - close rings.
The ring on a foot of a bird, if closed (that is without a join) can only have been put on the bird when it was between 10 and 20 days old, thus proves the age of the bird, if the breeder has fitted a correct yearly coded ring, as most rings are coloour coded and stamped with the year of manufacturer. It also proves the bird wasn't wild caught.

Next - it is also illegal to sell birds (in fact any animal) that is unweaned, therefore the second breeder selling birds at 12 wks is pushing it for a grey to be fully weaned by then, so never acept a bird that is still begging for food, or is said to be nearly ready and only requires a top up.

Ok, now for the big one, WHY hand reared? if you get a parent reared bird, it will be just as good a pet, and more stable, as a hand reared would be.
If you were to buy a dog, do you look for hand reared ones, or spend the time training them and gaining their trust. Admittedly it is a little different with birds, but the logic is still the same, a grey will soon settle in his new cage (parent reared) and providing you work slowly, methodically and persistently, your new bird will accept you as his flock (the bird will own you whatever, so be prepared). Yes you won't have an immediately cuddly parrot, but you will also have a parrot that doesn't fully understand it's a bird.

I'm not going to lecture you, so back to the original questions, £650 is expensive, and look at cages yourself, as this will be the home of you new parrot for a long time, and it needs to suit both your needs, buy as big as you can fit and afford. £595 is still alittle pricey. (parent reared will be alot cheaper) Try ringing the office and ask them for a sample magazine, which will have in the back a for sale section, there are always greys for sale in there.

Have you looked on our Parrot Advertiser section of this site - accessed from main homepage.

Well, I'll leave you with those thoughts, and hope to hear from you soon.
Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

donna123

Post by donna123 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:54 am

Thank you so much Kev for all your info, i have decided to go for a older bird ( just over for months 4 months old) it is quiet tame but i know i have a lot of work in-front of me, however, it is going to be very rewarding.
I manage to pick up a excellent bargin, very large parrot cage plus many toys for £115.00 and the price of the bird is £400. It is rung not sure if it is closed rung and the band is silver. The bird does not come with a birth certificate. On the ring has the breeder's initial the number of the month the parrot was born and the year, which my one says (08.10). Should parrots come with a birth certificate, gosh there is so much to take-in before buying a parrot, i hope i have not jumped straight in, as i pick mine up this morning. :shock:

Bouvier

Post by Bouvier » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi Donna,
I agree with what Kev is telling you. Colour coded rings only apply to aluminium ones and you need to know the code colour for each year, steel ring are plain (silver) as are split rings. I have a friend who never rings her birds as she believes they will get caught on cages etc. but she does hand rear. To tell a young Grey up to about 9-12months is by the eye colouring. The whole of the eye appears to be black and as it gets older there is a yellow/straw coloured ring around the pupil (they do sometimes start to change at 6 months). After this time it is almost impossible to tell the age.
It is up to the breeder whether to issue a Certificate or not. Generally breeders are starting to do so but there are still some about who do not. In general terms the ring nos' indicate the number of the bird ie 08 (is the eigth bird to be rung and not the month but your breeder will tell you this). 10 will be the year.
Your breeder should explain the type of food s/he has been feeding it but generally it should be a mixture of fruit/veg/seed, unless it has been reared on pellets alone.
Again with the price it is up to the breeder and, in most part the buyer, how much a bird costs. I would say you have bought at the right price £400 for the bird and £115 for the cage. The £900 + is more like a shop price after all they end up paying VAT etc on everthing they sell which in truth a breeder will not.

To keep a bird as part of the 'flock' (as Kev rightly says) and not the leader you must keep the bird lower than your head when handling also you must never stroke the back or under the wings (this indicates a sexual attention even to a young bird) as it will cause problems later. The best form of affection is to tickle the head and under the lower part of the beak which is what another bird would do to preen (these are usually the areas the bird cannot preen themselves), it shows friendship but no sexual contact.

Bouvier

martink

Post by martink » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:37 pm

Although i agree with close rings on young birds ive had several problems with aluminium rings on parrots and would never use anything but stainless steel close rings on my birds. I have had to cut 2 ring off cites 1 birds this year which means having get the birds chipped, but on a more serious note these birds if not caught in time may have lost there legs. If i had my way they would be banned.

donna123

Post by donna123 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:19 am

Bouvier wrote:Hi Donna,
I agree with what Kev is telling you. Colour coded rings only apply to aluminium ones and you need to know the code colour for each year, steel ring are plain (silver) as are split rings. I have a friend who never rings her birds as she believes they will get caught on cages etc. but she does hand rear. To tell a young Grey up to about 9-12months is by the eye colouring. The whole of the eye appears to be black and as it gets older there is a yellow/straw coloured ring around the pupil (they do sometimes start to change at 6 months). After this time it is almost impossible to tell the age.
It is up to the breeder whether to issue a Certificate or not. Generally breeders are starting to do so but there are still some about who do not. In general terms the ring nos' indicate the number of the bird ie 08 (is the eigth bird to be rung and not the month but your breeder will tell you this). 10 will be the year.
Your breeder should explain the type of food s/he has been feeding it but generally it should be a mixture of fruit/veg/seed, unless it has been reared on pellets alone.
Again with the price it is up to the breeder and, in most part the buyer, how much a bird costs. I would say you have bought at the right price £400 for the bird and £115 for the cage. The £900 + is more like a shop price after all they end up paying VAT etc on everthing they sell which in truth a breeder will not.

To keep a bird as part of the 'flock' (as Kev rightly says) and not the leader you must keep the bird lower than your head when handling also you must never stroke the back or under the wings (this indicates a sexual attention even to a young bird) as it will cause problems later. The best form of affection is to tickle the head and under the lower part of the beak which is what another bird would do to preen (these are usually the areas the bird cannot preen themselves), it shows friendship but no sexual contact.

Bouvier
Hiya thanks for your comment, my bird must be pretty young, its eyes are a dark colour, i have checked the ring and it is closed ring, to the eye it does look silver but i think it is aluminium, and you are right, lucky was 8th bird to be rung, that was my mistake i thought it was the month he was born.
ive had him now since Saturday morning and ive got to admit he is such a joy to our family.
he is playing with his toys, climbing around his cage.
i am just waiting for him to start talking now.

teiltown

Post by teiltown » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi Donna,

Good to here Lucky has settled in.
To emphasise Bouviers point about Diet, greys are prone for developing deficiencies if not fed correctly. If you have issues or concerns about what your feeding him, then let us know and we can sort it out.

The ring will be stainless steel if simple silver/grey in colour. SS ones are used on birds with a greater bite pressure than say parakeets, who need a light wieght ring, hence they are made from Aluminium. Martin is quite right in what he says about larger birds, that they should be rung with Stainless Steel ones and not Aluminium. We rely on the breeder choosing the correct ring for the type of bird, however, I am sure there some larger softbilled type birds on which using an aluminium ring would be quite acceptable, so banning them would be very controversial. Again, we put our trust in the knowledge and care of the breeder.

On the point of talking, Lucky will need to be taught, so gentle talk to him, repeating the same things over and again, and eventually he will start to mimic you, and even further down the line, may start to respond to situations with a key word. Your parrot is very inteligent, so allow him to use his brain and provide plenty of stimulation, the most important, being fresh twigs/branches to chew on, as don't forget, he is a parrot, and thats what they do.

Keep us all informed of how he's getting on and of any issues or questions you want answering,

Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

martink

Post by martink » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Sorry to go of subject a bit but i really meant larger parrots but including greys, ive cut 2 rings off queens which are not that bigger birds as they crushed them onto there legs and i do think all cites 1 birds should be rung with stainless rings as its important they are marked for id.
Good luck with your bird donna.

donna123

Post by donna123 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:24 pm

teiltown wrote:Hi Donna,

Good to here Lucky has settled in.
To emphasise Bouviers point about Diet, greys are prone for developing deficiencies if not fed correctly. If you have issues or concerns about what your feeding him, then let us know and we can sort it out.

The ring will be stainless steel if simple silver/grey in colour. SS ones are used on birds with a greater bite pressure than say parakeets, who need a light wieght ring, hence they are made from Aluminium. Martin is quite right in what he says about larger birds, that they should be rung with Stainless Steel ones and not Aluminium. We rely on the breeder choosing the correct ring for the type of bird, however, I am sure there some larger softbilled type birds on which using an aluminium ring would be quite acceptable, so banning them would be very controversial. Again, we put our trust in the knowledge and care of the breeder.

On the point of talking, Lucky will need to be taught, so gentle talk to him, repeating the same things over and again, and eventually he will start to mimic you, and even further down the line, may start to respond to situations with a key word. Your parrot is very inteligent, so allow him to use his brain and provide plenty of stimulation, the most important, being fresh twigs/branches to chew on, as don't forget, he is a parrot, and thats what they do.

Keep us all informed of how he's getting on and of any issues or questions you want answering,

Kev.
Thanks Kev once again, you have so much knowledge about these birds i may become a pain to you..lol
I have a selection of feed for lucky, i have one bowl where i put fresh fruit and veg in mixed with the vitamins (i replace that every other day) another bowl with his water in, another bowl with monkey nuts in and the last bowl with parrot mix food in (nuts, sunflower seeds, dried chill's) loads more different type of nut.
i will try and post some pictute's up of him, but i dont want to scare him just yet with my camera with him being so young.

Bouvier

Post by Bouvier » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:41 am

Hi again Donna,
On the feed side you seem to have a very good variety but may I suggest that you do not have different feeding pots. Parrots and in particular Greys are well known for being Sunflower/Seed junkies and the likelyhood is that yours will fill up on the junk food (ie seed) before trying the fruit etc.
You would be much better off if you gave your bird Fruit/veg for the morning feed and then seeds for an evening feed but then remove the seed pot after a couple of hours (don't leave it in overnight) or as I do,I mix my Fruit/veg/seed together. I chop the fruit/veg in small pieces as greys tend to throw out the fruit etc to get at the seed. If chopped small not only do you waste less but the taste is transfered to the seed and all is eventually eaten. For a single bird you can mix enough for a two or three days - keeping the remainder in the fridge. That way the bird is getting fresh daily. The nuts side should be kept to a minimum for the grey as they are extremely fatty.
On the ring side of things don't worry about it just be aware that over time if it is alluminium it can fade and the lettering become obscure also if you have a perch which is used to keep the claws down (looks and feels like cement) then it could wear away the edges of the ring making it sharp.
With the talking side some birds seem to talk straight away - Hello being the first one - others take their time. In general terms their learning stage is around 9months onwards so don't worry if he doesn't say anything. There will be times when he is moveing his mouth and 'chuntering' this is when he is trying to formulate the words etc. Just remember whatever you teach your bird to say will be kept in his mind for ever and any 'rude' comment which may be funny can come out at the wrong time and at a much later date.

Bouvier

Bigmarc40

Post by Bigmarc40 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi new here , can anyone point me in the direction of a breeder as I'm struggling to find a legitimate source. Thankyou