neighbours complaining about noise

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

scott

neighbours complaining about noise

Post by scott » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:05 pm

hi to all,
just wondered if anyone else has hassle from their neighbours over bird noise.we have two young really beautiful handreared harlequin macaws in an outside flight.We live in a semi rural area the house is detached but we have houses on both sides to us approx 15 ft apart.The neighborhood isnt exactly quite most have young chldren and there is alot of noise from the road directly behind our gardens.The birds are locked in a brick bird house at night and let out at 9.00am during the week and 10.00am during the weekends and are put back in at around 5.30 when they start to make noise .We have done this to be considerate to the neighbours.However despite all our efforts to keep the noise to a minimum we recieved a warning letter from the council.The neighbours which have the problem live next door but one never had much to do with them but were always polite and said hello.Spoke to the council which seem to be on are side they have been told to right a diary and it has been sent back with total lies saying they squark continuosly all day when they are out.If im honest the noise level changes depending on weather but i reckon on average they are proberly vocal for 30 mins a day.Last week the council came round to witness the noise stayed for half an hour they never made a peep so they are giving them some noise equipment ,when they make a noise they press the button they have it for a week.Both me and my wife are at are wits end every time they are vocal we panic i know we shouldnt and i didnt think this situation would make me like this but i feel like given up on them and getting some budgies in the aviary. We also put them away when we are out so we know they are quite.The hole family really love both birds such a shame it has turned into such a nightmare.just wanted to share my problem with like mined people.has anyone got any advice if the council tell me i must keep them inside i will have to sell as they are aviary birds.........many thanks scott :( :(

teiltown
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: neighbours complaining about noise

Post by teiltown » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:33 am

Scott,

First things first, remain calm and polite particularly when the council come round to visit.
From what we have heard so far, I recon you probably have the upper hand. Given that when the council came to visit, they were fairly quiet.

How do your immediate neighbours feel?

The PSUK council are seriously thinking about issuing soem basic guidelines for instances of complaint adn planning application issues.
In the interest of all reading this, please keep us informed of whats happening.

We wish you well.
Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

martink

Post by martink » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:10 pm

My neighbour complained also , i told him i would build another house on my land and move he hasnt said a word since.

scott

Post by scott » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:12 pm

hi to all,
just a quick update on the complaining neighbour still waiting for council to supply her (sad cow)with test equipment.The birds seem to make most noise when it is threating to rain ,is this normal ?Came up with a crazy idea of setting up some sort of sprinkler system to get them used to the rain ,would this help ??? :|

Bouvier

Post by Bouvier » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:35 am

Hi Scott obviously still no joy with your neighbours.
The birds shouting at forthcoming rain is normal. In the wild this would in fact be the big downpour prior to the growing season and therefore breeding season. Unfortunately it is generally the wrong way around in the UK. Sprinkler systems are great for hot weather but won't make any difference to the birds when rain comes along. Part of your problem could also be that your birds are hand reared and they are calling to the known flock ie humans when they see or hear them, due to their nature it will take some time for them to get out of being humanized. Generally aviary birds will call first thing in the morning and last thing at night, it's the 'All Clear' and 'All Safe' calls for getting up and then going to sleep. There can be an odd call throughout the day but not as much as your neighbours seem to suggest. Good luck with it all.

Bouvier

scott

Post by scott » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:36 pm

hi to all,
my situation took a turn for the worse this morning.Went out to give my birds thier breakfast and noticed the padlock to the outside flight had been cut off and flight door left wide open.Birds are always locked in secure alarmed house at night which has a opening which my daughters pull a cord and releases the macaws into the flight .Luckly i had a day off from work so noticed the flight door wide open other wise they would have escaped.I dont think this was an atempt at stealing them because you can clearly see the birds are not in the flight so our fingers point to you know who.The whole family are gutted that it has come to this but we have no choice but to try and sale our beautiful much loved babies.We have informed police and are waiting for them to come round thank you all for your advice over the past year or so
many thanks scott :(

teiltown

Post by teiltown » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:26 pm

Scott.

I think the only thing to say here is thank your lucky stars that youu still have the birds and that they didn't escape.

Take photo graphic evidence of everthing and have you alerted the persons at the council to what has happened.
To trespass and cause criminal damage with serious intent and possible charges of animal cruelty (as releasing birds into 'freedom', whom do not know how to survive is almost murder), I would say would blow their complaints out of the water, particularly as you had a good case anyhow. However, I can see the other side of things where you are concerned for the birds well fare if there were any other incidents in the future.

I wouldn't give in just yet though. See what the police and the council say, I know it may be hard to prove it was a particular person, but as you say, the evidence does point. Security cameras I think from now on though, simply record all the time your away from the house.

Is there no option to keeping them indoors with you? As you say they are your babies, and I certainly know I would defend my birds to the death - fortunately my kids are far noisier than my birds....

Keep us informed on how this one turns out, best of luck and once again, no matter how mad or worked up you get, don't do anything stupid and keep your temper (I would be struggling on this front by now)

Kev.
If God had intended man to fly, He would have given us wings. Instead He gave us Parrots.

scott

Post by scott » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:05 pm

hi to all,
firstly just wanted to thank everyone for the fantastic advise over the past month or so.We have had some lengthy discusions as a family and none of us want to give up on keeping birds.A few breeders have suggested keeping african greys as they are a lot quieter than our harlequins ,i personally would like to have a go at breeding them as i feel there is a bigger market out there than the larger macaws not that im in it for the money just think this would be a great hobbie and dont want to be stuck with babies.has anyone got any more advice on the more quieter parrots or even better like to talk about an exchange for my two beautiful macaws ,we have even talked about show budgies.many thanks :shock:

teiltown

Post by teiltown » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi Scott,

Greys are certainly less vocal, but like all birds, they too can hold their own in a shouting competion when they want to.
I keep Pionus, and these are generally excepted as being quite quiet birds, however, first thing in a morning, and in an evening, particularly if the cockatiels and the ring neck start having a shout, they too join in and they can be also quite noisy.

It's great that you don't want to give up on birds though, even if you do have to have a small change in specie.
I can certainly tell you what you need to stay away from - Cockatoos, Aratinga Conures (some Pyhurra ones may be ok), Monk Parakeets, Caiques...Most of the Psittacula family (Asiatics, like RIng necks, Derbyans, Alexandrines..)....heck, I hope I've got these latin names right :?

You could try your hand at some of the Australian parakeets, or even the Poicephalus group from Africa (Senegals..)

As always, you have quite a following here so keep us up to date.
Kev.

geoffrey3

Post by geoffrey3 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:05 pm

scot dont get rid of the birds as of whot you say the council wont beable to make you get rid as your birds are left out at reasonable time wk days and wkends with the trying to leave your birds out i would get a camera and dvd recording with small lcd display from maplins every so often they got these on promotion for around 299 as you got internet sign up for their emails and wait till they are reasonable price before buying.been where you are about 14yrs ago with my birds as ive also got chickens with me living with flats out my back 13 of them one day a 60 old moved in and complained on day one about the birds had letter of council about the noise next rodent man came and inspected but he was happy enough then came the noise monitors and not anybody in the flats would leave them into their flats and give them a flea in their ears wasnt long befor he was thrown out hinself for noise and not very polite behavior towards his neighbours. so hang in there with your birds and dont give up jeff

scott

Post by scott » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:06 pm

thankyou all for your support ,not going to give up totally on keeping birds,as kev said just going to down size in specie and do some research into the quieter ones.Be great if you could try before you buy :D

cat

Post by cat » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:40 pm

moany buggers i got 12 greys who live outside and yes they are noisey at certian times of the day but so are the wild birds shall we give them all an asbo i spoke to the police as i was worried bout new neighbours next door but one and they told me they moved here after the birds were here best of luck dont give up greys are quite hard to breed they can take upto five years to settle

mavericktv

Post by mavericktv » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi
Sorry to bother you, My name is Laura and I work at Maverick TV. We are currently making a documentary series on Community Mediation, following teams of experts whose job it is to help resolve neighbourly issues. After seeing your post we may be able to help you with your situation.
If you are interested in learning more you can contact me at l.woolf@mavericktv.co.uk
Thanks
Laura

jimmy62alan

Post by jimmy62alan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi there,
it could be worth fitting a set of CCTV camera's to your setup, not just to keep an eye on the birds but to record the sound levels and the times they make there calls because they will never be as bad as your neighbour says and getting recorded proof will be backup for when the council personage comes round.
If you catch your neighbour traspassing on your land this will help your case tenfold, a friend of mine had dogs and the council came round to complain about his dogs barking. The council were invited in and my friend played a video of the next door kids poking sticks and throwing stones at the doors when he was out, he made the council a copy of the tape so he had a backup copy.
The same tape were used as evidence in court when one of the dogs bit one of these kids, the more details you have the better as far as the council are concerned. Good luck and I hope you get sorted out.
ALAN

signalnorth

Post by signalnorth » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:43 am

Perhaps I can give viewpoint from the other side of the fence so to speak. I found this page by googling as I am experiencing problems in this area . I live next door to neighbours who have birds and to be frank we can no longer use our own garden in peace because of the noise. They have parrots and other birds and the squaking is pretty much continuous from daylight to dusk, Imagine how you would feel living next to this . Can you? In many ways its worse that they are otherwise very good neighbours and so it's difficult to know how to tackle the issue.

To you your complaining neighbours they may be grumpy old sods, but from my point of view they are most probably having their peace and tranquility ruined and feel helpless. Unlike native birds, the noise made by these caged imports is unpleasent grating and and almost continuous and it dominates the audio environment in a way that background traffic noise does not.

As bird owners you need to think about your neighbours, trust me complaingin is difficult and they won't have down it lightly.