Tracing Metal Open Ring Code

Moderators: teiltown, adminnew

Pedro

Tracing Metal Open Ring Code

Post by Pedro » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:37 am

I have a Mealy parrot purchased in Manchester and I really want to know a bit more about him. Does anyone know where I can trace the code on my Parrots ring ?. It is an open steel ring with the number PWST 580. Thanks

Bouvier
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Re: Tracing Metal Open Ring Code

Post by Bouvier » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:24 am

Hi,
Firstly hope you had a good Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!!

Your ring appears to be a sexing ring by a vet named Peter Scott, of Winchester. He should be in the vets listing but I haven't checked this.
He will only be able to confirm that it is one of his ring and I doubt if he would be able to supply the original owners details - due to the Data Protection Act - but you can give him a try.

Bouvier

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:21 pm

Thanks for that and a Medrry Christmas to you too !!!

Do you know if you can tell the sex purely from the code on the ring??

Bouvier
Choose Centre Number (3): 23465

Post by Bouvier » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:06 am

In general terms the number on a sexing ring relates to the Vet and how many he may have sexed in one particular year (or similar). The accepted practice is to ring a Male on the right leg and a female on the left leg, however there is one vet that has imported rings that are Black (male) and Gold (female) in which case the ring would be on either leg.

Bouvier

Marssomers

Post by Marssomers » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:08 pm

On the silver open leg ring of our yellow Amazon parrot is written MD499. The ring is on the right leg. They told us the parrot was bred in The Netherlands and has an age of 11 years.

Based on the leg ring we think the parrot is imported and is older than 11 years. Can anyone tell me more about our parrot, such as age to start with? And maybe more?

Kind regards,
Marcel